Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Motor operating problem---need help

yankeedoodoo

A friend has a 7 with a problem he has been unable to find and has also been unable to log onto this site with a password problem---so I volunteered to post this for him. The motor is a Cosworth BDA with 45mm Webers and an Electramotive ignition with a pickup sensor on the crankshaft. When the car is started it runs beautifully for about 5 minutes; then it begins to sputter on steady throttle betwixt 3000-6000 RPMs. It is smoother under acceleration but still not providing full power. Numerous efforts have failed to locate and fix the problem. We now request any and all suggestions as to where the solution might lay. He's hoping to have it fixed in time to humiliate some Shelby/Ford products on the weekend of April 17 & 18. If any readers find themselves in southern CA at that time please join us @ Willow Springs. Thank you very very much, in advance, for all responses. *thumbup* *cool*

• Support Team

This sounds a little bit like the problem Angus had with his K series - after much searching they found that the wire from the crankshaft sensor ran very close to the HT leads and that the interference was enough to upset the ECU. The full diagnosis is here. If you search back further, before Angus found the solution, there are lots of other suggestions as to what the problem could be. Sorry I can't offer any technical answers myself.

Yellow SL *cool* #32