Click here if you are having website access problems ×

(the sheds) BAR

Whoohoo 😬 Jenson on the podium again and Sato exhibiting concideration and charisma (in his post race interview) far in excess of RS *thumbup*

Nice to see Button on the top of the drivers championship and BAR second constructor, too *tongue* *tongue* *tongue*

Me in good mood 😬

Peardrop

Edited by - Peardrop on 4 Apr 2004 23:37:49

I used to go to school downwind from the Badger brewery ... nothing like the smell of malt'n'hops in the morning *smile* (I also used to go to school near the Shiphams fishpaste factory ... now that DID smell poooey).

An American collegue was particularly fond of Badger, and he was requested to do some work in Norwich by a lady project manager. She knew he liked Badger beer, but got confused with mammals that begin with a "b" ... and wrote in her email "I know where you can get some of the Beaver that you like so much" ... 😳

Aaaah ... Memories... The different smells walking to school (kids these days won't understand that bit) along the riverside at Rotherhithe:

Enthoven's, the lead works. Hot foundry smells and lots of diesel fumes.

Vitak's, the lumber yard. Sawn wood, damp trees (big bugger ones) being unloaded from the barges.

The Rice Mills, barges full of rice, being unloaded into the factory, then put in sacks and loaded onto trucks.

"The Bacon Factory" (can't remember their name), the wonderful lungfull of "authentic" smoky bacon smell, not the artificial stuff you get these days.

Walking past the various wharves along the riverside, smelling the four corners of the earth being unloaded into the heart of London. Spice island is now a lonesome pub, the fabulous aroma of crates of spices being shipped has long gone.

They've all gone, or been converted into "yuppie" (i know it's an eighties term) flats.

The final smell before getting into school, burnt marmite (yuck - still can't stand the stuff) from the Peak Freans "Twiglet" factory in Drummond Road.

Thanks for sending me back to those wonderful days of happy memories....

Millwall to beat Sunderland in the Semis DONE and then beat Manky Mancs in The Final

See Barbarella here...

I used to work in Slough. If the wind blew one way, you got the smell of the Mars factory and if it blew the other, you got the sewage works.

Anyone who has ever lived near either a chocolate factory or a sewage works will tell you this is the olefactory equivalent of the old rock/hard place juxtaposition...