Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fuel gauge having a serious fit

Drumster

Car is 93 x/flow.

Now I know that the fuel gauge often becomes erratic, on a blat I find it is steady down to 3/4 then wavers gently around between 3/4 and 1/4 and then becomes steady again at 1/4. This I can live with.

However, this morning whilst fannying around in the garage I thought I'd check the petrol. Switched on etc and needle shot up to 3/4 and was solid. I then moved the car forward and the gauge then decided to have a fit and go into orbit with the needle swinging wildly between 1/2 and the gauge stop the other side of full.

Now if this is the result of petrol sloshing around the tank then fine but why should this suddenly happen, after all it is never that wild on a blat?

Time for a new sender unit?

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint here

Drive it like you stole it! *eek*

Could be the sender, but you might want to check the wiring. I noticed the wire from my sender passes closely between the forward edge of the tank and the boot floor brace/boot floor. I put some of that pastic armour over it because it looked so vulnerable 😬

BRG Summertime Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

The gauge shows an empty tank when the sender is at minimum resistance, and a full tank at maximum resistance. This means that a poor electrical connection which introduces extra resistance makes the gauge read high.

Off the road *thumbdown* Photos here