Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rattle on 4:1 exhaust

Richard_E

I have just finished polishing a 4:1 competition exhaust and need help eliminating a vibration. The problem is that one of the primaries is a little small for the 4:1 converter and thus the exhaust blows, only very slightly, but more annoyingly rattles at high moderate to high RPM. Does anybody have any ideas on how to solve the problem?

Ideally I would need to expand the primary slightly to produce a good fit. Any ideas welcome.

I used a little flexible exhaust jointing compound on a dismantle / refit. Works well, no blowing, and if you are neat and tidy you won't know it's there. Available in a tube from all accessory shops. I use Halfords own at about £3.00 a tube.

Happy motoring thumbsup.gif C7 WJW

I used a large 'tapered' socket to slightly expand the downpipe and then use silicon mastic (you know, the stuff you use round bathroom fittings - the clear stuff) to make a good join. It is very flexible and seems to last well under temperature. I use the same stuff for general gaskets. This was from a tip given to me by a respected engine builder!

Small Boy - with Big Toy!