Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

The BEST standard brakes set-up?

tom7

• 5 weeks later...

Any suggestions on where i can get pagid pads mentioned in this thread from and is there anything available in the way of better quality discs up front but not upgraded if that makes sence

Blatting round aberdeen wondering wether to buy a jumper or heater

If I was replacing my brake pads, for the small additional cost, I would also replace the discs, as this is considered to be best practice....

Start off with flat surfaces on both, and let them bed in.

• 1 year later...

Grumblemumble...

...well I don't know. I phoned up Perf Braking today - and yep, John is helpful chap...

But I'd be looking at £200+VAT for a set of 15s on the front and 14s on the back (or is it the other way around?) - anyway - £235+ a set of new discs - certainly for the front, possibly for the rear...

...So that's up to around the £300 mark. For consumables (although durable ones at that)...

Hmmm. OTOH, the JW setup is £600ish - but my worry with that is the warning about high-mileage/adverse weather users (they are race callipers, so not sealed)... I fall into both categories...

Then there's the CC option - but that's just too darned expensive.

Or then there's the Hi Spec Ultralite 4's @ £278 (presumably +theft) plus another £50ish++ for pads and a few more quid for bits and pieces... Are they actually available yet though??? Hi Spec are *notorious* (it seems) for taking an ice-age to get to market....

Hmm-hah. If the Hi-Specs are available, that route sounds like a better-bet than the Pagids - but would I need a comp master cylinder???

Or I could say 'sod-it' and slap another pair of 1144s on the front, and to hell with it (cost - Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

> weather users (they are race callipers, so not sealed)... I fall into both categories...

I'm not sure it's worth fretting about this. I've had my 7500 mile JW Alcons apart, and aside from an even film of brake dust around the piston top there wasn't any sign of nastiness. It's also worth considering how few aftermarket calipers have full dust seals. Those that don't: Hispec Ultralites; Caterham AP big brakes; all the small Wilwoods.

> If the Hi-Specs are available, that route sounds like a better-bet than the Pagids -

> but would I need a comp master cylinder???

If I read the Hispec catalogue right, they use 4 x 34mm pistons which is very close to the area of 2 x 48mm Triumph pistons, so no.

• Leadership Team

FWIW, HiSpec were showing their Caterham 4 pot calipers on the trade stand at Stoneleigh this last weekend. The guy had a number of pairs with him, all direct replacement and using the standard caterham solid disc. The four pot version was available for £200 'cash in hand', or £200+vat for the cheque or card.

The calipers are significantly lighter than the standard caliper, and they use Lotus Elise pads.

This seems a good deal, but sadly didn't have the cash. Their catalogue shows the price at £120+vat each, so the show price was a sizeable saving.