Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Uneven Front Tyre wear

Not too drastic, but now they are well worn it is more obvious...the inboard part on both front tyres have worn more than the rest of the tyre. Is this a symptom of an incorrect setting or just a result of a few track days ?

The car drives straight and the steering characteristics seen fine, any thoughts anyone ?

Minty

Sounds like negative camber to me and that is probably to be expected.......what tyres and what front set up do you have?

The the wear on the inside edge even or is the tread feathered in any way?

If so, that might suggest that your tracking is out.( I think!)

Andrew

Edited by - Andrew Russell on 9 May 2001 17:20:19

Tyre wear is *not* a good indicator of correct suspension setup for ultimate handling use.

For cars that do road mileage, the majority of tyre wear comes from running in a straight line or under light cornering loads. Tyre wear will only tell you if things are badly out of spec.

Tyre temperatures with race tyres at the track vary on a corner by corner basis. If you measure tread temperature you only find out about the last corner and you have to measure them immediately. Tyre temperature can be a very useful tool, but you have to understand these limitations.

[That sounds like a cop out.]

I reckon on varying slightly from *sensible* settings using a suck it and see approach.

FWIW I've found that the wider lower-profile tyres (like 195x50/15) work better with less camber than a regular 185x60/13. Obviously the requirements vary from tyre to tyre but I'm talking about boring road tyres rather than fun sticky ones.

Mike

I have decreased the pressure of my Yokos A021R from 20 psi to 18 psi in order that the full thread of the front tyres is in contact with the road. 1

18 psi (cold) seems the right figure although there is a difference in temperature between the right and the left of the thread noticeable which can be felt under a finger.

Should I continue to lower the pressure to level the temperatures?

Cheers,

Pierre