Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Myles

I'm depressed...

I've been having brake problems ever since I changed the propshaft and started a series of brake-bleeds at the same time.

I bought an eesibleed today - it certainly works as a one-man tool (I'd tried the one-man-bottle product and wasn't sure it was so good) - but my brake problems are just as bad, so bleeding probably isn't the cause.

Squirrely brakes at lock-up and a pretty much random choice of locked wheel. Dunno what to do - I hear Mr. Spandex has brake problems too...

Time for a sheds brake-afflicted hug? *wink*

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

I hate brake problems ... scary ☹️

When my one of my front calipers seized, my friendly very local garageman did the replacement. He had real trouble bleeding the brakes, and he is a brake expert !

Finally, star bloke that he is, he called up Lotus !! Somehow they managed to find someone who knew something about Seven brakes and told him about this secret technique of jacking up one corner of the car as you bleed from that corner.

That might help *confused*

Hoopy, No, I don't think the pads have anything to do with it - the fronts are unchanged (and have done about 5k on Mintex 1144s), and the new (boggo) rears have done a coupla hundred, so should be reasonably bedded in by now... They might improve over the next coupla hundred, but I've a sneaky feeling that my RR is vying with the FR as to who gets to lock up first...

There was some evidence that the RL piston (std. brakes) is working less hard than the RR (which could account for the *occassional* pull to the right under braking), but the front does moderately off things too at the point of lock-up (primitive ABS - the steering shakes fairly violently as each front wheel gains, then loses, grip in turn.)

Never used to be like this - couldn't just be the tyres getting marginal, could it (they are no where near being illegal).

I'm going to have another fettle now - but last time I looked (coupla weeks ago), the pistons weren't jammed jammed IYSWIM, and if anything, the one that locks easiest (RR at the mo.) had more movement per pedal stroke than the LR...

And yes - I took *all* of the pads out last time, so that could help explain why the general braking efficiency is uninspiring - but I'd have thought the fronts would be perfectly happy because the same pads went back into the same positions - how can they 'unbed'?

Ahhh, now I see where you are all going wrong. You want proper DRUM brakes on the back .... not those old-fashioned disc thingys *tongue* Discs are for backs ... and 'puter. Drums are for Rawk'n'Roll bands and brakes.

Won't be long I'll bet before some of the F1 teams start switching over to drums. After all the Peugeot rally team has gone over to 4 speed (a.k.a proper) gearboxes.

See, what goes around, comes around *cool*