Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Free play in Q/R Steering wheel boss

I.Mupferit

Never noticed it before, but discovered last night that my Racetech Q/R steering wheel boss has about 3-4 mm backward/forward movement when locked on the shaft. Is this normal?

I don't really want to be having a Kimi Raikonnen moment next time out! thumbsdown.gif

Brent

I put an O ring down the removable boss so that it was sitting flat against the back of the steering wheel centre. You have to make sure the O ring is a good fit on the internal diameter of the boss to stop it from popping out. This fixed the problem for me.

Ditto Peter C's findings. There is the second position which has free play and the fully fitted position which has not!

Could of course be all that vibration from that rough old Ford engine Brent. (Mind you, Caterhams new [future] engine choice ie. 'Duratec' will be something else!!!!).

Had a good look at it tonight and I can't see how there could be a second position. There is just the machined annulus on the lower part of the splines into which the 3 balls inside the boss sit.

Tried pushing the wheel on more firmly whilst lifting the release ring but it doesn't want to go any further. I don't see why the annulus has been machined so wide, seems to me the tolerances could have been a lot closer. Maybe I will try the O ring solution just to stop the wheel moving.

I am sure now it is not going to come off but I just find it a bit unnerving when the wheel moves in directions it is not supposed to!

Brent

Chris,

Knew they would come to their senses eventually and let the district nurses keep their Magimix motors! smile.gif

Edited by - brent chiswick on 9 May 2001 23:55:31

AAAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Found out yesterday that my steering column doesn't have the second annulus machined below the first one at the bottom of the splines. When I pull up the locking ring and push hard on the wheel, it reluctantly slides down approx. 1/2" more but, of course, doesn't lock on anything and pulls straight back to the wide groove.

Luckily I have a friend who runs a machine shop so for convenience sake will let him do it but BOY OH BOY does it P*** me off, especially as this isn't the first time Caterham have supplied me with unfinished goods.

They really need to tighten up their inspection procedures. sad.gif

Thanks for the advice guys.

Brent

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 11 May 2001 08:35:50

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 11 May 2001 10:13:13