Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Exhaust joint seals

Doug

I have just bought a Raceline 2.0ltr Zetec which I am steadily and very enjoyably getting to know. One problem appears to be the joints between where the exhaust comes out of the side of the car and joins onto the silencer. Four pipes come out of the side of the body and push fit into four female pipes, which then reduce to one pipe into the silencer. The whole lot is made in stainless steel.

The blowing area is where the four pipes push together. The pipes quite literally push into each other and a bolt on a flange at 90 degrees to the pipes keeps them from pulling apart. It sounds odd but it works.

Someone has suggested using silicone sealer on the male pipes and pushing them together to make the seal. I haven't done it yet for fear of making a mess of the stainless steel pipes if it doesn't work.

Any suggestions are very gratefully received.

Aahhh - silicone would make a BIG mess.

If the leak is very bad, and they always leak from this joint slightly, try GunGum from any car parts place. It's made for the job and is easy to use 😬

BRG Summertime Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

ive sealed my 4-1 collector a few times. it doesnt seem to last long though, and it needs doing again. there must be a lot of movement transmitted through the exhaust because of the motion of the engine.

anyway, high temp silicone will seal it fine, as will firegum or exhaust putty. if you get excess silicone on bits of the exhaust you dont want it on, just wait till it dries and it should peel off fairly easy. as for firegum; if you get that smeared on the exhaust, a high grade wet and dry paper will rub it off without making a mess.

You can get it from any plumbers merchant I think Angus - that's where I got mine from. Used for sealing flues IIRC. I shimmed mine with a coke tin following your suggestion AND applied silicone sealer (what a literally bloody and messy job that was - with red sealer all over my fingers I didn't realise I'd slashed a finger on the coke tin *eek*) and STILL one of mine blows *mad*

M1 7 SMW R200 (aka 1.4SS) Mem.No. 10376

I had the same problem on my eh hum...w*******d and the factory told me to use 'Plumba' flue sealant which is a high temp silicone. It only lasted a few hundred miles though before it was gone and needed redoing. I returned to the factory recently to be told that mine was the 'old' design and the new ones were welded. I have since had mine welded...brill!! no blowing. *smile*

Exhaust assembly paste dries and becomes brittle.

It then powders away.

High temp sealer stays pliable, so seems to last longer.

Anyway, a bit of an air leak in the collector does allow for some nice flames on the over-run *tongue*

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Not going to you know where with you know who in 2004 😬