Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spam spam

(from my ex-hometown of Austin Texas)

Hormel, the corporate parent responsible for foisting millions of cans of SPAM™ upon the world, is very sensitive about anyone making fun of their potted pork product. You can imagine their reaction, then, when David Arnsberger and Dick Terry held the first SPAMARAMA™ in Austin back in 1976. Hormel let the guys know, in no uncertain terms, that taking the can’s name in vain, without using ALL CAPITALS and the trademark insignia, could have serious legal consequences. That explains why there are so many CAPS and little ™s in this entry.

Officially called the Pandemonious Potted Pork Festival, the annual SPAMORAMA ™ draws ten thousand people with a highly refined sense of humor to one of the wackiest festivals in America. Held each year in Austin on a weekend close to April Fool's Day, the festival is famous for making rollicking good fun of a product folks either love or hate.

Entries are divided into two divisions: the open, in which anyone can enter serious or joke dishes, and the professional, which is limited to chefs and restaurateurs. Awards are given not just for the best; and worst-tasting; concoctions, but for showmanship as well. Past entries have included many flavors of SPAM™ ice cream, Moo Goo Gai SPAM™, GuacaSPAMole ™, and SPAMalama™ Ding Dong, made with the pink colored meat, whipped cream, and chocolate. You can even buy a recipe book with ways to make the gelatinous blob edible.

Judges of the SPAM™ cook-off have to actually taste all the dishes, although they’re allowed three passes during the judging. Additionally, they have the right to require the contestant to take a bite first, minimizing some of the risk. Being thoroughly tanked is also a great help. Imagine how you’d react to SPAMish™ fly, a delightful mix of diced SPAM™, cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, and "flies" of raisins. The creator of this dish was so incensed when he didn’t win that he froze the dish and returned each year with the same entry. That was before they instituted the "last place even if there were a hundred entries" award.

Other events include the SPAM™ Cram, a potted pork pig out with predictable consequences. SPAM™ Carvings often have a pop culture/current events theme such as a SPAMatoyla™, Private Pork by Howard Swine, and Babe II: the Can. Body parts are a popular theme, as are animals such as the SPAMagator™. The SPAM™ calling contest is a riot, as is the SPAM™ toss. One year the showmanship award was won by an artist who carved the word SPAM™ (without the ™) out of a 300 pound block of blue ice with a chain saw.

SPAMARAMA™ gives adults a chance to play with their food, paint their bodies with SPAM™ themes, and sing along to "SPAMish™ Eyes" and "This SPAM™ is my SPAM™. . ."

SPAMORAMA ™ SPAMORAMA ™ Official Pandemonious Potted Pork Festival held annually in Austin, TX in April.

Steve B

Big Black Beast^3 SV VHPD

USA 2005: How the West Was Driven

Funny that, the wife's from Ceylon and my first girlfriend was a lamb!

I'd love to join you but I have to work ☹️

Make the most of the lamb, treat her gently and whisper sweet nuffinks into her ear 'ole, and she'll treat you right!

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬