Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

2mm from engine disaster

tiddy1

During the llandow track day I noticed that several of the bolts and one of the clips holding my k-series Bernard scouce air box in place had fallen out. I checked all around, including in the inlets but could not find them so I removed the air box and continued with the day

Last night I had a closer inspection I looked in number 4 cylinder to find the bolt clip was lodged between the valve guide and the edge of the port!!!

What a close one, good job I had not opened the port out any more!!.

The airbox design has made every effort to make sure the clips don't come out by glueing them in place but once the bolt has come out they can come loose.

This is not the first post describing this problem so just watch out. I will be wire locking all the bolts in place from now on as I would not trust thread lock

as there must be some serious vibrations there.

May be a stay underneath might reduce the vibration levels

Simon

I noticed those bolts becoming loose, so fitted shakeproof washers - no problem since.

Much easier than wire locking them and what would you lock them to 😬

BRG Summertime Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Yes, I had the middle bolt drop out of mine and the retained nut got sucked into one of the cylinders, bent three valves and peppered the top of the piston and the head.

Fix the retained nuts in place with plenty of silicone sealant, they may appear to be stuck but they do come loose (with disastrous consequences) loctite the bolts in place then cover the heads of each of the bolts with a square of duck tape to stop them coming out even if they get loose.

You have been very lucky to catch it before it went in!