Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What are pros / cons of airbox? And which one...

jimmyslr

I was black flagged yesterday at Bedford for drive by noise. Oh dear. I have a Raceco (more on that in another post), but what about induction noice? I need an airbox I think. A few questions?

1 Does an airbox decrease airflow and hence performance? ie is it a compromise and I should just drive somewhere else?

2 Assuming it doesn't/isn't, what sort is recommended and what sort of fitting (ie ducts from here, holes cut there) is best in a Caterham.

I have seen Arnie's (a little extreme for me) and would rather avoid too many holes if possible. For reference the car is a 98 SLR running OEM TBs and air filter. All ideas appreciated as was a bit sad yesterday ☹️

Edited by - jimmyslr on 28 Mar 2004 08:40:30

Fred has a superb setup, with 4, 90 degree intakes mounted on the side of the car near the front suspension.

The airbox was constatntly fed with cold air, and i believe he saw no decrease in performance with this set up. - All products were supplied by Carteham / Reverie.

Any Monday morning folk got anything to add? I surfed Reverie's site - not exactly a bargain, albeit very beautiful.

What about the Bernard Scouse solution? Does that fit my my standard SLR induction gubbins? Anyone got an in situ picture? Presumably same set-up as Reverie (conceptually) and one runs ducting to a source of fresh air.

Franky - yes. Nice and shiny, but not a bargain. Also I think the under the nosecone scoop has had problems and side blisters are are an option at more cost!

I'm interested in thoughts on the Bernard Scouse offer which seems a lot better value.

I had the Caterham fitted a little while after I built the car. It did what it is supposed to and has quietened the car down noticeably. Some say it reduces power, others (Caterham) say it increases power. I don't know - i couldn't tell the difference. On a track, it is certainly not noticeably slower than those cars which have no airbox.

What problems have you heard that the air scoop causes? I am unaware of any.

Re airscoop, I thought a couple of people had sucked-up some rubbish to the detriment of the engine. Concrete dust I seem to remember.

I have had a chat with Dave Andrews and with my SLR, with original (ie long) Rover TBs, the Bernard Scouse one is unlikely to fit. Has anyone solved this problem with an SLR with old style TBs?

Edited by - jimmyslr on 29 Mar 2004 18:19:05

Ah yes - the concrete dust was Graham Ridgeway. He drove over a bag of cement that fell off a lorry in front. If he hadn't had an air scoop he would still have had the same repair work to do - it got everywhere. The idea that puddles are aproblem is pure myth - there are escape holes for any water that were to get in, and you would have to go through a (deep) ford for it to be a real issue. I have used mine for 3 years in all conditions, and it does what it is supposed to do. My only issue with it is one that no-one talks about: it takes up a lot of under bonnet space and makes the car harder to work on.