Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

k-series crank oil seal leak

tiddy1

Just re-built my engine with all the good bits to get 200bhp however after 500 odd miles I seem to have a rear crank oil seal leak, its wet sumped with an apollow tank.

I fitted a new seal as per instructions (assembled dry ) and fixed it in place with sealent but it still seems to be leaking. it has not moved

any suggestions? could it be due to over filling the sunp?

or the additional revs?

I've heard that too much oil pressure when the oil is cold may be an issue?

Simon

what oil pressure do you have 🤔 Mine is fine with 90 psi cold and 75psi hot. I do have to keep the revs done when its very cold to prevent the pressure going higher.

If you've go the std oil pump i doubt it will give that much pressure unless perhaps the pressure relief valve is unwell.

check the oil level with it hot and running etc etc...

HOOPY R706KGU Hoopylight R

• Leadership Team

If you're getting 200 bhp I guess you've fitted TBs? If so, how good is the breathing on the cam cover?

The Rover pump is strong enough to push out the oil seal, and push oil out of the various other sealed joins on the engine if the breathing is not adequate *eek* This include the cam carrier to head, and sump to block. Don't underestimate how powerfull the pump is 😬 I mention this from experience.

Ensure that both venting points on the cam cover are big enough - drill bigger if necessary, then vent to a catch tank.

Also, the rear crank seal should not be fitted dry - but bonded in place using a special silicon adhesive available from Rover, even though the Rover mechanics will possibly say that they always fit them dry. IIRC, product code is GEC-6000.

Also worth making 2 small drillings through the steel outer rim of the new seal, into the block, thread M3, and fit 2 small bolts - belt & braces.

Stu.

Thanks stu

when I said dry I ment on the crank, I have sealed the outside with sealent. Interesting point about the venting because I have blocked one of the breathers in the rocker cover.

also Looks like I might have over filled it which could be the main cause, and with all this power looks like I am going to need a dry sump.

oil pressure was dipping on the corners at llandow, the oil pressure light did not come on but it was definatly dropping, and I know how damped the gauges are.

Simon

Excess oil pressure wont harm the seal but excess crankcase pressure will. over filling will lead to windage and pulverisation / aeration of the oil, this could very likely be the cause. Make sure you vent the crankcase properly, check the breather that you blocked off for a 'pulse' while the engine is running and if necessary vent to a catch tank.

oily