Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fire extinguisher in regs?

Steve Robinson

Steve,

Will you be happy that you saved that extra 2kg when your car decides to self combusts 🤔 *eek*

Personally I would never run on the track, or on the road for that matter, without a fire extinquisher, it comes under the same reason i have a full cage. I don't need one for the sprints and it weighs me down but i know if i remove it for a sprint, it will probably be that event where my car decides to roll 😳 *eek* 😳

but it's your choice

Rob

Ford: Engineered for life - built to rust!!

Steve,

See Section L 10.1.4 - 'Fire Extinguishers - Q 3.1.2(a) recommended - for discharge into the cockpit and engine compartment.' Q.3.1.2(a) refers to a minimum recommended quantity of 2.25l of extinguishant.

Good to see you and the family last Tuesday

Brian

There's no point at all in carrying a hand held style fire extinguisher in a sprint, it's just one more thing to become detached and hit you the head when you roll.

A proper plumbed in job has some value in the event of fire but is much more intrusive during other use and obviously incurs a more severe weight and installation engineering penalty. Again just for Speed events I'd not bother.

I've seen many cars upside down at Hillclimbs, but never a fire. I think it's necessary to consider the relative risks of these things. How many sprinting Caterhams use foam filled bag tanks of an appropriate size? And remember all those marshals with big extinguishers and proper training who will be along very shortly.

Paul

Hi Ken

and you shouldn't be carrying more than a gallon of fuel slopping about in the bottom of the tank anyway

That's rather difficult if your driving the car to the event..... *confused*

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Nawwwwwwww - I've driven my car to all L7C events and try to plan it just right so there's minimal fuel in the tank upon arrival and then add bits throughout the day as necessary and pour the rest in at the end of the day to get me to a garage. You can easily carry enough fuel to get through a sprint.

A gallon of petrol weighs approx 4.6kg so if you have half a tank you have about 20kg of unstable mass flinging the back end of the car around. Watch a milk tanker the next time you follow one around a roundabout *smile*

Ken