Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Indicators & MOT

jamesm

• Leadership Team

Yes they are required for all 7s for MOT whenever & however built. However, you may get away with it if you fail to mention it and choose a friendly MOT station.

Stu.

• Leadership Team

7s without them only pass due to testers not being aware of the requirements. A repeater is needed where the main indicator lens has not been E-marked to show that it is tested to be visible from both the side and the front. Hence (in simplistic terms) a "wrap-around" front indicator does not need an additional repeater, but a forward "socket" type will. The latest Mercedes door mirror mounted indicators are the type that are tested to not need a side repeater. Caterham indicators are not E-marked with the required identification therefore (officially) an additional side repeater is required.

Stu.

I'll second Stu's answer. I had this MOT problem last month. I hadn't even got out of the car when the tester started tut tutting at lack of side indicators. I think it's cars from 1986 onwards if I remember. Having searched the archives it's obvious that a lot of MOT testers aren't really to genned up on this and a lot of owners " get away with it " Mine's a '97 car and it's never been picked up till now.

Graham

I specifically asked my tester at the time of booking the test as it seems to be discretionary depending on visiblility from a particular position at the back and side of the car - I have no desire to drill unnecessary holes in the side of my car to satisify one particular tester's interpretation of the rules. He took a careful look at the indictors and passed the car. I thought it was better to have a legal car rather than take advantage of a tester who may have overlooked the issue.

BTW, my STD bullet type front indicators are E-marked.

Yes this is compulsary. Had my 7 MOT'd at Millwood very recently and these had tyo be fitted to the carbon cycle wings. have to say i was very surprised and a bit dissapointed as i think it looks a lot better without them. nevermind, still goes like stink *wink* *thumbup* *thumbup*

• Leadership Team

JP - yes the indicators are E-marked, but only for the purpose to be used as indicators, not to double up as side repeaters also. I believe there is a specific E-mark for this.

Stu.

Solution is simple *tongue*. Find a '7 friendly' garage *thumbup*. If you need to find one then just ask on BC. Someone is bound to know one in your area.

'93 x/flow with cycles wings and for the past 5 years I've owned and MOT'd the car, not once has this 'problem' arisen.

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint here

Drive it like you stole it! *eek*

• Support Team

My car passed its MOT recently at a local garage. The tester was well aware of the requirement to be able to see the indicator from a position standing to the side and rear of the car. He stood in the relevant position while the indicator was operated, was happy that he could see it operating and passed the car. I believe that the position is very borderline and that it will depend on how reasonable (not how friendly) your tester is. You can of course take it to a Caterham friendly garage who will turn a blind eye but in reality they could legitimately pass it.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Who said that? I could of sworn I heard someone talking over there.... *wink*

On a related topic, I'm struggling to find a replacement lens for the 'standard' side repeaters before my first MOT next month. I tried at a Land Rover dealer last week, but they don't believe it's one of theirs...

Anybody have a clue? I don't really want to shell out a tenner to CC and get the redundant light fitting and wiring as well...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Gareth, thanks for the offer - but I'd like to get it back working.

One of the properties I use has a very awkward exit, and I need all the help I can get...

Somebody must know what they really come from - unfortunately, I know of no breakers/scrap yards nearby (probably the best source of 'wot's this?' solutions).

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

If the car fails for not having repeaters then is it feasible to add "temporary" repeaters that can then be removed following the MOT??? This avoids drilling and wiring etc. and puts an indicator where the tester can see it and so ticks the box without any painful drilling.......Perhaps a self adhesive temporarily wired "bodge"

An idea straight from the Blue Peter school of automotive engineering!!!

Side indicators must be fitted for Mot (officially) on all cars first registered after 1st April 1986.

Lenses do not have to be emarked if the light out-put is equal to those that are marked. Our small round repeaters are supplied to many kit manufacturers and pass both SVA & Mot tests if fitted so the correct visibility is complied with.

Hope this helps

Steve @ sVc

www.s-v-c.co.uk