Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

smoke or steam or paranoia?

JonnyS

I purchased a supersprint (1700 Ford crossflow) a few weeks ago - on the whole it is performing great. However while sitting in traffic today, I noticed a v small amount of smoke/steam (?) occasionally rising from the bonnet. It really was minimal but enough to make me slightly paranoid. However I carried on driving and everything was just fine.

I'm not sure whether it was happening all the time (i.e. when the car was moving) and perhaps I only noticed it while sitting still?

In terms of dashboard readings, the water temp was low(ish) and the oil pressure mid way up the scale.

Is this normal in Ford based supersprints?? FYI it wasn't raining so the exhaust wasn't wet.

Any ideas?

Jonny

I agree. The oil breather pipe and collector bottle in the engine compartment passenger side aren't a very good fit on my 1700x/f and after a warmish run can let out some smoke. If it's coming out like crazy then check you haven't overfilled with oil, which is quite easily done if you have the modified metal dipstick. otherwise just treat it as one of those '7' things.

Happy motoring thumbsup.gif. C7 WJW

And my 1995 1700 xflow doesn't have a breather pipe. Just a small trace of oil vapour coming out of the filler cap that is then seen through the louvres in the bonnet! I was paranoid for a while until I realised that the oil level was not falling and this effectively rust proofs the engine bay smile.gif .

Cheers,

Graham