Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Lambda probe

jackb_ms

Put simply, it measures the oxygen level in the exhaust. This information tells the ECU what the fuel/air ratio is and then allows it to alter it to the correct level for the proper operation of the catalytic converter.

The catalytic converter needs a stoichiometric fuel/air ratio. All this means is that there has to be exactly the right amount of air fully to burn the fuel put through the engine - not too much, not too little. This ratio has to be controlled very precisely for the catalytic converter to work.

Jack,

No it is not entirely redundant.

If you remove the CAT you may not and need not remove or disarm the closed loop control of Lambda ratio which is part of your ECU control strategy.

If you change your ECU or its map so that you have not got closed loop control of lambda even then the probe is not redundant because it is a very useful tool in the performance mapping process. Without knowing the air/fuel ratio mapping is a far more difficult process and, in my view, much less trustworthy.

If you have an OEM ECU i.e. rover Mems then I'd leave it in. The ECU uses the lambda sensor as an input to an adaptive library which keeps the mixture spot on (but only at part load). Taking it out will cause a fault code which may in turn lead to strange phenomenonononon...(?)

BC

If you've got no cat then the lambda sensor is almost superfluous. You just keep it to stop the ECU seeing a fault. Therefore instead of having it on show it can be tucked away inside on runner 4. In an ideal world it would work just as well in runner 4 as it does downstream of the collector but in reality the fuel mixture varies from cylinder to cylinder so for best emisions you want the cat to get an average AFR that is stoichiometric (i.e. = 14.5) even though some sylinders run richer and some leaner than the average.

BC