Click here if you are having website access problems ×

brake balance

caterhamnut

Great fun at Hullavington on Friday - car went great, but braking heavily into corners (for sideways fun!) the rears would lock up very easily. I know this is a common Caterham problem - but what can I do to stop/reduce it. Brakes are 'standard' all round.

ta

NEW Nurburgring Pictures posted

here

55,000miles in 2.5 years

If I'm not mistaken, I think the answer is a brake proportioning valve. IIRC, they're better than bias adjustments as they only reduce the rear wheel's braking effect at high pressure so the back brakes work as normal at lower pressures.

J351 TPE - Now a complete car once more (almost)

Angus,

To try to help this 'cheaply *thumbup*' I have uprated the pads on my front and left a set of 'Uniparts' on the rear. Still bedding them in to have a firm view on the success, but already it does seem to pull up quickly.

I did plan to go for Mintex 1144s for the front, but when I called Dave K at Demon Tweeks he had sold out and he suggested some Ferodo 3466 instead. Never heard of them before and nothing on Blachat about them, but they were black and fitted the right hole 😬.

Cheers, Peter

My Caterham owner's site

I have the same problem, so I went for 1144's in the front and halfords cheap crap own brand in the back, unfortunately it made no difference to the balance.

I'm slowly resigning myself to the fact that I'm going to have to buy the big brakes, however I am going to have one last shot at bleeding them (again), but this time I'm going to jack the front of the car up in an attempt to shift any last remaining air.

I have standard brakes and had the same problem.

For a simple solution, I removed the 'centre third' of pad material from each rear pad. No detrimental effect on overall braking but now is balanced better. This technique is an old tried and trusted road-rally solution.

Tom

• Area Representative

I had the same problem and have recently fitted Mintex M1144 pads to the front. Not had a chance to try them fully yet, but seems to be a reasonable improvement. Did the MOT brake test since fitting and pedal effort to get fronts to work was a lot less than last year.

Suggest you give them a try. At £30ish they're cheaper than bias valves and big brakes.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

cheers guys - so the simplified answer is to uprate the front brakes 'to match' - be it through better pads or better calipers etc.

I know the pagids are expensive - but what is the wear rate on these like.

Any opinions on best uprated calipers - for example Caterhams own, or those supplied by James Whiting?

PS - Dave - thanks for all your advice before - excellent!

NEW Nurburgring Pictures posted

here

55,000miles in 2.5 years

Edited by - angus&tessa on 22 Mar 2004 13:04:58

Get your Pagids from Performance Braking in Monmouth - these will work great in the std calipers with some decenbt fluid like SRF .

The pagids wear very slowly . So this wont be a problem Angus .

They are expensive in the first instance , but they are worth it .

Glad the tweeks worked ;-))

See you saturday .....

Dave