Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battered's brackets - NtL content.

Sheds Moderator

Having got the vernier pulleys from Mav's bulk buy (Thanks Oily, Mav and Steve) I've started making brackets for the DTIs. Oily recommends using ally for this which I don't have in the scrap box. I do however have steel which works equally well.

All of those who are DIYing will need identical brackets. I'm prepared to make a few others for NtL. Probable cost about a tenner, possibly 15 if you want the set of 3, to NtL plus postage at cost. Note I'm not making anything out of this other than learning how to use my welder but it's not going to cost me anything other than welding rods and grinding discs.

Form an orderly queue gents, who would like some?

These are the brackets that hold the dial test indicators to indicate piston position and valve follower position when setting up vernier cam pulleys. If you are setting up verniers you need them. If not then they are just a few bits of steel bracketry with indifferent welds to clutter up your workshop.

If you are a "numpty" as stated then you are advised not to attempt this without expert assistance *smile*. Not that I wish to patronise anyone but cam timing needs to be done properly. DVA has comprehensive instructions available but it isn't for the fainthearted.

I think the Dept of Trade and Industry would benefit from these brackets 😬

(sorry - a bit of a thread hijack, but at least it bounced it back to the top)

One car - 1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings. *smile*

OK Rob, you're on. You're not a numpty at all if you are taking this on. In fact building brackets is easier than doing the job, but not everyone has the reqd metal bashing equipment, so it just occurred to me that this offer might help everyone and give me a chance to Blutak a few bits of metal together in a good cause.

With these brackets do I mount the dial gauges above or below the verniers I've bolted to my stanchions *confused*

Sorry. Back on track - yes please BOSS.

Verniers are too beautiful to hide away inside the engine - anyone doing pespex cam covers 🤔 😬

M1 7 SMW R200 (aka 1.4SS) Mem.No. 10376

BOSS

How does the DTI attach to the bracket. I did not buy my DTI from the bulk buy, but have one from Demon Tweeks. It has no bracket on it - the only attachment method seems to be to clamp around the round housing under the dial where the rod exits. (if that makes sense!)

If your bracket is suitable for this, I would be interested.

Thanks

Dave

Right then gents, that makes Robmar the numpty, *wink*, Tony Whitley who's going to hang them from the mirror (I'll polish yours up Tony), RobF who is going to grass me up to the Dept of Trade & Industry and maybe Dave M if he uses a magnet to hold the dial gauge to the bracket. That makes 2/3 sets plus my own. I'll check out postage costs and establish timings (couple of hours work per set) and get them out to people. Cost £15 to NTL plus postage.

Please confirm details plus addresses, special requests (covered in pink fur is NOT an option), to steve.corcoran@spab.fr and I'll get welding.