Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rear lights defect

JonnyS

Hi

I have just purchased my first Caterham 7 (De Dion Super Sprint Ford Crossflow 1700)(1996). I have noticed a fault on the rear nearside lights. Basically when I brake, the indicator light goes on (at the rear nearside) and when I indicate the brake light goes on at the same place.

Before I start working on it, has anyone seen this in Caterham 7's? Is it as simple as the previous owner putting in an incorrect bulb causing a short (which I have seen before)?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Jonny

This is more than likely an earthing problem. Easiest way to identify is to connect a circuit tester to each connection before it enters the light cluster. You will find a range of bullet connections or similar inside the rear wheel arch. Check each to earth. If all are ok then look for the earth wire that is fixed under a small grub screw and clean it up or renew. This will be the earth circuit nomally utilising black wires which will go from the light cluster base to the body, probably under one of the wing fastening bolts. Its very easy to test but if you disconnect anything then use some masking tape with numbering to identify.

If its an earth problem then its just wear and tear. Connections get wet and eventually deteriorate and lets face it Caterham wiring aint brilliant to start with. If its a short then fuses will blow so that ones easy. If you clean up the connections and eliminate that problem then it is likely that it will remain ok for yonks.