Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Do I need an oil cooler?

Dobuy

Been out for a blat today, just doing some running in of the Duratec SV, a bit concerned about my Temps and Pressures:

Outside air temp: 32'c

Water Temp 80-88'c

Max oil Temp 98'c

Avg Oil Temp 90'c

Hot Avg Oil Prs 60psi

Hot idle Oil Prs 22psi

Cornering hard Oil Prs 45psi

Max oil temps were gained while going full tilt round a roundabout (several times)

Are these figures OK, baring in mind it will get hotter here and I will be using it on the track.

Any suggestions on whether I need an oil cooler, if so what source, size and fitments do I need?

Oh and did I mention I had fun, boy does this puppy go, amazing torque from just off idle.

Duratec Se7en, built in Dubai, pics here! *cool* Keep it sunny side up and out of the kitty litter.

• Support Team

What radiator have you got installed? If you are running the standard Caterham radiator then fitting the Laminova could just move the problem to the coolant temperature. Oil at 90 degrees is not a problem but if you end up running temperatures well over 100 then you need to do something about cooling the oil - the oil is fine it's the engine oil seals that will suffer.

There are 2 choices:

1. Fit a separate air/oil cooler - the problem in a Caterham is location and airflow as if placed in front of the radiator it will cut down the airflow to that. This is what the racers use.

2. Fit a Laminova water/oil cooler - this is a very good solution which I have fitted but the downside is the standard radiator may not be up to the job and coolant temperatures will be too high. Caterham don't seem too keen on this solution but then they supply the other one! Other advantage is that oil gets up to temperature more quickly - I guess not an issue for you *cool*.

I fitted a Laminova and a Radtec radiator and that solved my track day temperature issues (water well over 100 and oil up to 120 😳). The radtec is a high flow alternative to the Caterham race radiator.

Hope this helps.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Thanks Shuan,

I have the Raceline supplied (identical to Caterham one except inlet/outlet position) alloy race radiator. Peter from Raceline said that the Duratecs run cool, well not out here and its only 32 today *cool*

I have the SV so there is a fair bit of space around the radiator. Not too keen on the laminova idea, want to keep things simple if possible.

I take it with oil coolers they must be directly in the airflow?

Also if I was to use a conventional one, how many rows would I need?

Duratec Se7en, built in Dubai, pics here! *cool* Keep it sunny side up and out of the kitty litter.

• Support Team

Dobuy,

Sorry can't help with the details on an air/oil cooler but would second Oz7's suggestion of talking to Think Automotive - what they don't know about oil coolers probably isn't worth knowing. I sourced my Laminova from them and they are Mocal distributors. Ask for Matthew as he seems to be the resident Caterham expert - if you're a L7OC member then you'll get a pretty hefty discount too.

It would certainly be best to place the oil cooler in the airflow as an air/oil cooler is much less efficient than a water/oil cooler and therefore needs all the help it can get. I have only ever seen them mounted in front of the radiator. In an SV perhaps you can minimise the amount of the radiator that is shielded by the oil cooler. It would also be best to have a thermostat to control flow to the cooler otherwise you risk overcooling the oil - maybe not so likley in Dubai but still a consideration.

The other place to look for information is on some of the Caterham racing sites (grads, roadsports, etc.) as they can normally only fit Caterham parts so would know what works.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 19 Mar 2004 12:03:52

One thing you need to consider with an air/oil cooler is do you run an apollo? If so you cant fit an air/oil cooler as the apollo uses the sandwich plate that locates between the filter & the block, and theres no where left for the cooler to be connected.

All K-series fitted with a air/oil cooler (Caterham do a kit for £90) are usually fitted with a dry sump, thus allow the cooler to be connected via a sandwich plate.

I think the Caterham item is 13 row x 115mm (Mocal Item), but I stand to be corrected.

Theres nothing wrong with connecting an oil cooler in series with an appollo tank other than the heat from the oil having to be dispersed by the rad.

I'd only start worrying about oil if the sump temp runs over 130°C. Even then you get the oil changed quiet often in a caterham so it doesn't get much chance to degrade.

Given the you live in such a hot climate I'd get to know the car a bit first, see what sort of top hose temps you can maintain under sustained high load. If its climbing well over 100 then you should leave the cooling system alone. If there is space around the rad then you may want to seal it to prevent recirculation of hot air.

Bob

TF, 32 degrees is cool, here, its gonna get a lot hotter pretty soon.

If my temps are consistently over 100, I think I may invest in an air to oil cooler. For some reason I don't fancy a Laminova, also remeber its not a K series *eek*

How may rows should I be looking at. Also does anyone have experience of putting it anywere else, except in front of radiator. By my figuring, I prolly only need a 10-15 degree drop to keep me and the motor happy.