Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Painting suspension

Graeme Smith

I just slapped a bit of chassis black on my front suspension last night - it takes about 10 minutes to give the metalwork a quick wire brushing and slap the paint on. OK chassis black isn't very durable but the prep time is minimal, you need no primer and it's as cheap as they come. I'm pleased with the finish and given the time effort and cost required I don't mind doing it every year or so. It takes nearly as long to wash the thing after all.

I was preparing a big post on this then lost it as I was looking for a link to the paint supplier *mad* Any way in a nutshell:

1. If you want to do a professional job, strip the suspension, uprights and calipers and after preparation, mask them and spray them...brush applied finishes look crap

2. Where necessary take the existing powder coat/paint/rust back to bare metal with a drill mounted wire brush held in the vice

3. Hammerite satin black gives a great match, but is not very durable and chips very easily, so only use it as a spray undercoat (I would have tried POR15 if it was available as a spray, which it isn't)

4. For the top coat(s) use a plasticised spray paint like Innotec Black body paint (again a real good match for the original powder coat. Sorry can't remember where I got the Innotec, but www.innotec-world.com might help.

5. Of course with the suspension stripped you could get the bits powder/nylon coated..but you've got to remove/replace metallastic bushes, dissasemble calipers etc.if you go that route.

6. The finish I've got on the suspension components using the above is superb *smile*, and I'm hoping that the Innotec will give the durability which was missing with just Hammerite.

Paul

Edited by - Paul McKenzie on 19 Mar 2004 12:05:32

Edited by - Paul McKenzie on 19 Mar 2004 12:08:33

I got mine shot blasted, then phosphate coated, then painted with automotive under bonnet paint (satin finish) which looks just like the original powder coat can't tell it apart. 5 years later on it still looks fine, no chips

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs

POR-15 gives a really smooth gloss finish that rock hard (read more resistant to stonechips than Hammerite)

Its a bit like painting with household gloss paint.

As you brush it on you can see the brushmarks disolving into the gloss finish.

Very satisfying to paint with 😬

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Not going to you know where with you know who in 2004 😬