Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trunnions...

Tony

Does anybody know how to get oil into trunnions? I am using the oil-tight pump-action grease gun (as supplied by James Whiting) but the oil just squirts out from around the nipple. Incidentally, I am using Wynn's engine oil additive for this, as it is a bit thicker than EP90 which I have previously tried (won't go in either).

Any suggestions??

Its probably because the nipple is blocked. I use a simple grease gun which is cleaned and then purged with oil. take the nipple out and fix it onto the end of the gun and try again. when its cleared screw it back in and fill the trunnions.

You should be able an "oil gun". I have one that I bought from an autojumble years ago and it works fine. I use EP90 and it works without problems.

I think that Holden's may sell them.

Thanks chaps. Two questions: John, how are you fixing the nipple onto the grease gun? Secondly, could it be that the trunnions are full, and that's why I can't get any oil in? (But I remember reading somewhere that the action of putting new oil in forces the old dirty oil out through the rubber seal).

The end of the gun forces over the nipple. The nipple is exactly the same design as that which sits on your arb mounting, prop shaft etc. If the trunnions are full then excess oil will simplt be forced out around the seal. this is how you know that it is full. It is not possible to keep forcing oil in until it builds up sufficient pressure to prevent further filling, the oil will take the path of least resistance and leak out onto the wheel. you're welcome to give me a call on 01274 593411

This may sound obvious, but are you sure the gun is firmly attached onto the nipple? The oil gun I use relies on the pressure of pumping the gun to get a firm seal but a normal grease gun doesn't push against the nipple, the nipple needs to "snap" into the end of the grease gun. If you just place the gun against it, that's no good. You can tell its snapped on correctly because you'll need to pull hard (well, slightly hard) to get it off again.

I don't know if the one from James Whiting is like mine (just push it against the nipple) or like a normal grease gun (snap it onto the nipple).

I'm going to close this subject now, and I'd like to thank JohnE, Chris and ashaughnessy for their speedy advice. It looks like I need a grease gun which 'clips' on to the nipple, which the oil gun I currently use does not. I'm going to Stoneleigh at the weekend so I'll have a look round the stalls.

Right, all this talk of nipples has made me giddy. I'm off for a pint.