Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Suspension set up on Superlight R

clarkey

The time has come to get my car set up properly after a couple of sessions at a wet Brands Hatch where it was frankly horrible.

Understeer is the main issue, both before and after the apex. Basically the car feels very unstable, especially in the wet, although it has the same characteristics in the dry.

I have CR500s on 6.5 inch fronts and 8.5 inch rears.

Who can I trust to do a good job of this? I really want someone who will listen to my feedback and opinions and not just assume that they know the way I like a car to handle.

Is there anything simple I may be able to do myself to improve this before I pass it onto an expert?

Thanks.

P.S I know driving instruction would help too..........

Firstly I'm no expert.

I had similar problems with my R500 understeering both in the dry and wet.

In the dry I found braking later and harder, and in certain circumstances trail braking upto the apex helped keep the nose in. I had to get used to really standing on the brakes to get the best out of them.

In the wet at the 'Ring and Spa last November, Clive Denham at Aryliam disconnected my rear anti rollbar and the whole car felt a lot better, but I still had to turn in well before the apex, so that once I had understeered out, I still hit the mark, if you see what I mean.

As for the experts, Aryliam are a good bunch, if you're close to them, other than that I understand the factory will now offer a flat floor setup. The advantage of Aryliam is that Clive does listen to what you say and has the racing knowledge to put things right.

I had my car setup by the factory, and they did a good job. Those who tried my car at the ring were impressed with the way it handled, despite the fact that it is on soft suspension settings (mind you, the car Robert Nearn had for his recoerd breaking lap was also on soft settings apparently)

Keith, I had similar comments made about my car !

I think the 'standard' suspension is a lot better suited to the Ring than very race suspension, that said, I had to dial the rear shocks up 20mm in order to stop bottoming out the A frame in quite a few right hand corners !