Click here if you are having website access problems ×

upgrade to 13" rims and CR500's

frankyknuckles

• Support Team

The 13" wheel/tyre will have a smaller rolling radius than the 15". Caterham do 2 sizes of cycle wing 13"/14" and 15"/16". You almost certainly have the larger. If you switch to 13" rims then the only problem will be that they might look a bit lost under the front arches. If you plan to swap between the 2 sets then you will need to keep the larger wings.

The other thing you'll need to watch is the ride height - the difference could be enough to give ground clearance problems, especially on road. Your speedo could read differently too.

This site here shoud help.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Franky,

don't worry; although there are two sizes of cycle wings, the R300 has the smaller wings as standard as the CR500s on your 15" wheels are relatively low in profile.

Most 13" tyres will be of significantly higher profile, dependant on which you run. For example the rears run on the new 8 spoke wheels on R500 have the same rolling radius as your present 15" jobs.

Have a look here for an idea of the (small) changes in gearing/ride height(which you can change anyway) and speedo readings you may incur.

Orange SUPERLIGHT R300

Perms a speciality, OAP discounts on Wednesday.

The 15inch CR500's on the 10 spoke Caterham rims are the same size as the new 8 spoke rears with 205 60 13 CR500's so no difference on the rears and no differnce to your gearing. The cycle wings up front are as Neil Nilliams says the smallest of the 2 so no problem. I have spoken to Caterham about this and they confirm *thumbup*

I am also about to buy a second set of wheels/tyres ......... was dead set on the new 13inch jobs but cant see what the advantage is over 15inch. I know you can read all sorts of info on blatchat, but what advantage does a 205 60 13 have over a 195 45 15, bearing in mind that they have the same revolutions per mile but that the 195 45 15 has stiffer sidewalls 🤔 OK so the 13 inch tyre is a bit wider but not by very much *confused*

R400 .......... I love it