Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil pressure- dry sump (xflow 1700)

Justin Andrews

What should the range of oil pressure be for a dry sumped 1700 x-flow?

Mine runs about (on fully synthetic oil):

~ 4 bar initially when cold;

~ 0.5 bar at idle @800 rpm; and

~ 1.6-2.0 bar 3-4,000 rpm.

Are these figures too low? I have tried adjusting the pressure using the screw on the pump, but all this seems to do is increase the initial pressure when cold. Also I remember someone telling me the lower the pressure (to a certain degree!)the more power you get from the engine???

I have a dry sump 1700 Xflow and the pressure I have are 4.5 bar cold and just under 4 when hot, I use Valvoline competition oil.

On tick over I see about .5 - 1 bar.

I re built the engine with new shells but did not re grind the crank so it is probably a little low compared with what is possible.

As regards power I doubt if you can tell the difference but I am sure someone better qulified than me can commnet more on this aspect

Eddie

I run an 1800 XF with dry sump and rev to around 7000 rpm. I was advised to run around 5 bar (oil hot) by Roger King recently. I guess that this is more critical with a higher HP / reving engine. From other info I have on 1700 I would suggest between 3.5 and 4 bar is fine but 2 bar is too low. On the other question, oil pressure does cost HP but to what degree I'm not too sure!! Having just adjusted my pressure up from 3.5 bar to 4.5 bar I have not noticed a great deal of difference but am due for as rolling road soon so the truth shall be known then!!

Justin,

Ideally you should see a max pressure of 4 - 5 bar with idle pressure anywhere between 1 and 2 bar. Both figures with the oil hot. The figures that you are seeing are too low, but if the engine seems healthy, check your oil pressure sender. Some cars have a 10 bar sender unit with a 5 bar gauge which results in a half reading gauge!

If you are looking for extra power by lowering your oil pressure then you are getting into 'nth degree' stuff. Any theoretical improvement due to lower resistance to driving the oil pump must be balanced against the risk of earlier damage to the engine.

I suggest that for normal use you set the pressure in the recommended range.