Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Radiators et al

Warren S Smith

I will be taking delivery of a VHPD from Caterham in late June. Can someone tell me if the standard radiator is sufficient or should I consider changing it for something different / larger?

Can someone also advise me on the merits / demerits of a 22% quick rack.

Thanks,

I know 2 people with SLRs. Both have standard rads. I know of others with similar power Ks but not VHPDs. Those are on standard rads too. While one wouldn't wish to seem prescriptive on this, it looks like you'd be ok to me, anyway smile.gif

As for the 22% rack, it's supposed to make the car "twitchier". This can be regarded as both a good and bad thing. Others who have upgraded don't seem to have regretted it. You'll get used to it, whatever, I reckon.

I understand from comments made by Jez Coates that the standard rad is fine - unless you habitually slipstream. They know from wind tunnel tests that when 7s are close together the airflow through the radiator reverses (its drawn out of the front).

By "close together" they mean as in racing.

Warren,

I specified the 22% rack and have no problems with it at all. I wouldn't even say it feels twitchy, and haven't noticed any real difference, when on the move, from the 8% rack on my previous car. Maybe the difference it more apparent on the track. At very slow manoeuvring speeds, it is noticeably heavier though.

One other thing you should consider, which I forgot about, it fitting a race master brake cylinder in place of the std item. See the thread "Alcon brakes Vs Caterham AP Big Brakes " for details. Basically it will provide less pedal travel, less 'slop' before the pedal has an effect, but the trade off is a much firmer pedal requiring more effort. I wish I had spec'ed this now.

Also, I have the std rad. and up to now my car runs very cool. I discussed this upgrade with Caterham, and they told me the same as Martin.

Jon

I have 22 percent rack, yes, seems twitchy at first but you get used to it.

Big advantage is that should the back step out of line you can apply opposite lock much more quickly and 'catch' the back end - speed is really of the essence here with a rear wheel drive car with lots of power & no traction control.

Regards

allen