Click here if you are having website access problems ×

help with head restraints[:\]

robmar

Rob,

I can not link to your question (work firewall)but I assume it relates to "padding behind tillet"? If that is so, I would not worry. Having a look round the paddock last weekend at a srint meeting, most people did not have a support.As it was put to me, what scrutineer is going to check the load capacity of your head restraint. As long as you have a restaint in one shape or another, I don't think you will have a problem. Having said that I have fitted a restaint directly touching the back of my tillet. 😬 😬 No padding and no support bar. Seems OK to me.

Paul

Be careful, scrutineers have been briefed to look at this, this year. Head Restraints were not compulsory for 2003, they are for 2004 so you definately need a support if you run a tillet seat as it is not strong enough, see other postings over the last few months

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* 2004 Speed Championship - 9 events *cool*

I would agree, you definitely need a restraint, but a support? How's a scrutineer going to check whether your seat meets the x tonnes per square cm or whatever the reg says. Last weekend this was not checked, I suppose you could come up against Hitler’s younger brother.

Did a BARC sprint at Silverstone yesterday with Mrs Kipper. The scrutineer passed the car with padding on the diagonal of the FIA bar and no other restraint.

If a restraint of the type detailed in the Blue Book were to be fitted to the FIA bar, the obvious place would be the rearward strut. However, this is not positioned so that the restraint would then be centered behind the seat. Would you have to offest the restraint?

The other thing is that the Blue Book recommends that the restraint be positioned so it sits 5 cms behind the helmet. I have the seat pushed almost right back but Mrs Kipper has the seat in the most forward position. This would leave a gap far in excess of 5 cms! What do you do - adjust the head retsraint when you change over drivers? The only way a scrutineer would pick this up is to ask each driver to sit in the car in their driving position with their helmet on.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

Paul - the basic problem is that the 2 brakets which I have been supplied appear to be too small, I have the padding sorted out, I cable tied and gaffer taped some pukka roll bar padding and it looks a suitable bodge 😬

rob *smile*