Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LSD

Asklepios

All you acid freaks can cruise on,as my question concerns the fitting of a Sierra 4x4 rear dif to Supersprint .Cursory inspection suggests probs with unequal drive shafts,and different fitting to dif of same.

Can it be done.and if so can any of you smart chaps give me any tips please?

There are many sizes of Sierra diff, the one Caterham use is the 7 inch (I think this refers to the CW diameter, it's nothing to do with the outer case anyway). They also come in 7 1/2 inch and the rally boys use up to 9 inch, no idea what was available as standard on what car.

Assuming you want to fit a 7 inch diff then there's two types, type A and... yep, type B! Type A has push in driveshafts, theres a splined drive cog inside the diff and the driveshaft slides into it, thats the one used by Caterham. Type B has external flanges onto which the driveshafts are bolted, that's the one used by Westf1eld. I've no idea which type diffs come from which cars, knowing Frauds they just swopped at random depending on which was cheaper on the day.

The superlight comes as standard with a type A, 7 inch diff. If you want to replace it with a type A, 7 inch LSD then it's a straight swop. If you want to fit a bigger LSD then firstly why? the standard one copes with more than 250bhp and sticky slicks. If you want to fit a type B diff then I would think you'd need to get special driveshafts made. Alternatively talk to an expert, Steve at SPC springs to mind, and see if you can convert a type B to type A by just removing the flanged bits and fitting the internal splined bits. Pretty technical ehh?

Chelspeed,

Thanks for your thoughts.The dif on offer is not splinned,and I think has unequal drive shafts.I will phone around and seek expert advice.So often in the past an inexpensive ,but needs a "little" work,is ultimately more expensive than the "correct" part new.

Phil Stewart at Road Race Trans also supplies Caterham.

He has never seen a broken Sierra diff from a Seven, except where the ramps in the ZF LSD get a bit chewed. (Mine is aparently the worst he's seen, probably bought about through use of traction control)

Phils on 01959 525105

He's in North Kent.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Fast Reliable Vauxhall wink.gif

See the R500 eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here