Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

vhpd cam belt failure

Richard Phillips

Any tips for repair due to cam belt failure. It failed at the Nurburgring Tues just after being replaced due to the bottom pulley shearing. Is it a job that’s worth looking at as a diy job or should I just give the car to a suitable repairer?. how much damage is it likely to have done? (I thought there was oil coming out of the exhaust on the trailer) the cam belt itself is totally shredded is this normal or do they normally snap.

Depending on how handy you are with the spanners and stuff, you could just about do it yourself. You need a good knowledge of the internal combustion engine, as well as a good workshop manual. If the belt failed at any speed above 10 (yes, tenwink.gif) rpm, expect to have to replace many, if not all the valves, maybe some vlave seats, some or all of the pistons, some or all of the rods, as well as needing a full gasket set, piston rings, main bearings, big end bearings and bolts.............have I missed anythingquestion.gif Cam belts have been known to snap, but I would be very surprised if a new one failed. I'd have words with the supplier and manufacturer. One of those words would be "compensation", the other would be "costs". Liability also springs to mind. If you paid for the belt by credit card, so much the better. Talk to them, if you can't reach agreement. This is assuming you didn't fit it yourself and forgot to do something upsad.gif.

The bottom line is, I doubt if the repairs will be either cheap, straightforward, or swift sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

The silver lining though, is upgrades thumbsup.gifbiggrin.gifcool.gifteeth.gif

Blatman may be right, but you may not be so unlucky. The belts do normally shred themselves as you have described (the band stays intact, but the teeth all get shredded). I say the factory's R500 which recently had the same problem, and all that was needed was 2 new valves.

I'd take it to a professional though - you want it to be reliable. Minister are probably the best, but it will cost.

It's almost certain to need some new valves. Of the (small number) of K cambelt failures I've heard of they've all bent valves (difficult to see how it couldn't be so given that whatever the crank position when the belt gives way there will be some valves sufficiently open to be clouted by the piston coming up).

Mike

Is there anything one can do to minimise the risk of a cambelt failing just after it has been replaced. I ask because I have just changed mine myself, and whilst it looks fine to me, I obviously dont want any sort of failure. So is there anything I can check. I know I have the tension correct, is there anything else that can go wrong?

I have several sets of *as new* VHPD valves kicking around here if you are interested, they are from very low mileage VVC and VHPD heads where the originals have been replaced with REC valves. If you need some valves let me know I wont want a lot for them.

The most likely damage is bent valves and cracked guides, however if a head has come adrift from any of the valves expect Armageddon.

oily