Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting adjustable platforms to rear suspension

Henry Crun

A few weeks ago I fitted adjustable platforms to the front suspension on my seven. It took nearly a day, what with farting around getting it all off and back on.

Now we've got to do the back! Anyone got a few tips on how to make this process go smoothly before I end up with the car on drive in bits for two weeks!

It only look me a couple hours to change the rear springs on my live axled car this week-end. Don't forget to put some protection between the axle and the chassis member it runs over. The axle will drop as you undo the top damper mount.

Regards

Charles E-H

I've had the springs on and off of my car so many times I reckon I could do all four corners in two hours now. The first time took me all day though. The secret is an appropriate spring compressor mine is homemade as I couldn't find one commercially that would fit. I don't know about live axle cars but on the de dion you'll have the well known adjustable platforms foul the de dion tube problem. The other thing to be aware off is when you undo the bottom bolt the tube rotates forward a little under its own weight, this makes getting the bolt back in a bit tricky. the secret is to support the tube's weight so that it can't roll out of alignment.

You'll probably find the adjusters foul the de dion tube. You can rotate them so the flats are in contact and not too much harm is done or add washers too the lower bolt to space the shocks forward. Someone was moaning about this on these pages a while ago and even posted some photos, might be worth a search.