Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Xflow Installation and Running in - gulp!!!

Bradbys

My rebuilt engine may be ready this weekend, so I am left with the rather daunting task of installing the engine and then running it in.

When I removed it I left the gearbox and bell-housing in place, but can anyone tell me the best way of levering it in.

I would also like to replace all of the bolts that attach the engine to the gearbox, and engine to engine mounts. Can someone please tell me which bolts to order and from where?

Assuming all goes well??!! – what would be the best way of running the engine in? There seem to be 2 schools of thought, so I wondering what the opinion is on Blatchat?

Run it hard or run it gently?

Any help on either of these 2 matters would be very useful.

Thanks *thumbup*

Did you replace the cam? If you did when you first start it run at 2500rpm until the fan quicks in.

I would do gentle running (4000~5000 rpm max) on a mineral oil for 500 miles.

Then change the oil for synthetic and cane it!

I was faced with exactly the same prospect a year ago. I am pleased to say that I must have succeeded because it is still running!

This was the first time I had installed an engine, although I had taken it out as well.

My first tip is that it is very helpful to get a load leveller - from Draper Tool catalog or MachineMart etc. It means you can take it really easy - especially as you do need to angle the engine to get it past the front crossmember, but then need to reduce the angle to mate up with the bellhousing.

I don't know what others use, but I used small ali plates which hung from the shackles of the leveler and were attached to the engine by the front and back exhaust/inlet manifold studs.

As far as running in is concerned I took the advice of someone who I trust completely as far as tuned xflows are concerned (and who rebuilt my engine) - and that was for the first 500 miles

-run on Castrol GTX or similar (ie non-synthetic oil)

- do not allow it to labour

- keep to max 3000rpm

After that, change filter and to synthetic and gradually build up to using max revs.

Don't know about bolts and things - but try Redline.

Good luck *wink*

Mike

If its got a new cam and hasn't been run at all, keep the revs at about 2.5krpm when you first fire it up - if you let it idle during this time the loadings on the cam lobes will be too high and you'll wear them unnecessarily before they're bedded in.