Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Service book stamp

bertie

How much value do people put on a Caterham service stamp on the service record?

A friends 1.6 Roadsport is not 3 years old and he fancies doing the servicing himself and saving some cash but is worried about not having the book spamped and the possible effect on future re-sale values.

Any views?

i would say it doesent matter much to anyone who knows better. its a kit car after all - made to be built yourself - so why not service yourself. consensus seems to be that most people owning a caterham are enthusiasts and are quite handy with a spanner so the car should be regularly and well maintained - possibly more so than if it was put into a dealer once per year... but in my book all this depends on the owner keeping records of when and what was serviced, and having receipts for all parts etc.

• Support Team

Sadly, many of the target market do not know better and will look for a full Caterham (or approved dealer) service history on a car that new. If your friend has no intention of selling for a few years then it is probably irrelevant although keeping records would be a good idea. If he needed to sell it soon (for whatever reason), the lack of a service history might make it more difficult to sell. This is really the same argument as the one about factory modifications versus well known tuners - to a knowledgable enthusiast it won't matter but to the majority of first time Caterham buyers it will.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I think, as with all cars, it depends where you ultimately expect to sell the car. if the car is quite young, and the main agent network will buy the car in, then a main agent service record is worth having, because they will often not deal a car that does not have the right stamps. If the car is too old to be retailed by the main agent, the main agent history is a waste of money, because they will just send the car out to the trade.

A CAterham is a bit more complex, because the factory sales outlet will buy in older cars sometimes. But generally, my view is that if you buy the car from Caterham, and expect to want to sell it back to them, it will likely repay you to have a dealer service record from one of the firms they know (themselves, an official agent or someone like James Whiting).

If not, or the car is one they won't buy back (e.g. an old xflow) it is a waste of money (unless you don't like doing it yourself of course)

Unfortunately you could have just written that down Grim Reaper and there is no proof that it has been serviced.

You go and look at a car could look at the oil on the dipstick and it is clear as you like. It could be the oil has just been changed but previously not been done in 20,000 miles.

The dealer stamp from a reputable company proves the service has been done by someone.

A service book *confused*

When did CC they start them 🤔

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.