Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Engine management systems

stephen ashurst1

I currently have a 2l VX engine in a 91 de Dion that has a home grown ECU unit, apparantly it came from a single seater race car !

All routes look to the ecu having blown so I need to change to a more suitable set up. The kits james Whiting sells are on a months back order, by which time summer will have been and gone. Has anyone got any positive experiences of direct ignition kits and where did you get them from , cost etc. Ideally I want something for under $300 which my daughter can fit.

Appreciate any help

I would decide who you want to map it then fit whatever they're used to mapping. I have had bad experiences getting people to map a system they're not used to.

For DTA on a dyno, I'd go to QED. For DTA on a rolling road, I'd go to John Noble.

I only have experience of the DTA management system which has been problem free and is easy to play with on a laptop.

Alex

Stephen, are you referring to the James Whiting 1 month back order on Weber Alpha ECUs?

I wanted to purchase one of these (ignition only unit) from JW but he told me there was at least four weeks to wait as Webcon didn't have any.

I rang Webcon and collected one from them direct that same afternoon. their after-sales help and advice was excellent too. Strangely enough Webcon are within walking distance of JW and he's been dealing with them for years and is also not known for miss-information quite the reverse in fact.