Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Track Car - 400bhp/t

drjohnuk

Superlight R performance at an affordable price of £13,000. Track car (red with white stripe). Have changed to instructing and decided to part with the beast. Just been rebuilt over the last couple of months with many new parts. Roger King Ford crossflow generating 215bhp, all steel with forged racing pistons and big valves, reving to 9,500 rpm with peak power at 8,200. Dry sumped - oil cooler. ECU - individually mapped on rolling road (software available). No fly wheel to give instant acceleration. Paddle clutch. Straight cut Quaife 5 speed (new internals). Alloy bell housing. James Whiting special Ford live axle with outboard bearings, Quaife LSD (new) and disks. Adjustable Leda dampers all round. Uprated springs. Alcon 4 pot racing brakes on front. Brake bias valve and hydraulic stop valve for handbrake. 13 inch Minilite wheels (2 sets slicks and wets). Brooklands screens & F1 mirrors. FIA roll bar and removable strut. 2 Caterham seats. Carbon spats. Competition carbon exhaust. Tonneau. Ready to roll for this season's track days. Registered for road use (i.e. log book). Could be reconverted to road use with minimal effort. Contact Dr John. doctorjohn@laycock.com

Dr John

Wow if that HP figure is genuine this is the most powerful X-flow that i have ever heard of *eek*

And peak power at 8200rpm, then why are you revving it 1300rpm more if no more torque or power is available then *confused*

Certainly would make an interesting road car 😬 😬

Riding Donkey's, in Search of Ponies.!

Not really bill, this is why you have gearbox and axle ratios to suit the engine *idea*

Also x-flows revved this hard all the time need rebuilds in very short periods, and in terms of cost and engine reliability i was posing this question to him 🤔

Riding Donkey's, in Search of Ponies.!

Heyyyyyyy ! Dr John !!

Saw the car and met the man at Oulton Park last year. Blimely ! if I had the money I'd buy it. The noise it makes is extra-ordinary !!!

Can't afford it Dr John I'm afraid but when are you next at Oulton, I'd like to see you all again.

Did your pal get his cylinder head gasket fixed properly ?? I still feel a bit down that it didn't last the distance for that last race.

Regards

Rowland

Guys, to stop the debate. Its called continuing to accelerate in a corner on a track without running out of revs where max power is not necessarily the major issue but avoiding a dangerous gear change is. Try it you will like it. Ask the guys how often they run out of revs on Charlie 1 and 2 on Cadwell or on the impossibly long right hander at Mallory. This beast doesn't.

Dr John

i would agree with having something a little extra over & above the peak power for some bends, even entering 'in the right gear' can leave you running out of puff mid corner, so what do you do....

choices;

1 - change gear mid bend, i dont think so... a combination of lifting off the accelerator shifts weight/load forwards then changing gear puts it to the back, combined with the effect of cornering forces and well... the car probably wont be facing the way you would like it?

2 - wait until the car is straight then change, removes balance issues but isnt the quickest route if not accelerating?

3 - have an engine that goes beyond peak power to give the benefit of continuing to 'accelerate', albeit not at peak power, through the bend until exit and then change gear?

one example - Woodcote (Silverstone) in the wet!

Dry 'what bend', whereas wet (in a 100bhp Grad car, so what do i know!) it is bang on when you want to change 3rd to 4th, try it and find out what happens - one driver found himself on the grass between the track and the wall..... maybe a little extra beyond peak CAN be useful on long bends?

How does it start without a fly wheel ? Is it push start ? Just curious.

Apologies for the hi-jack Dr John ! Your engine (along with an article in Low Flying many moons ago about a trip to France ) was the inspiration behind Roger building my XF which is now in Rob G's car.

Any one who has a full-house Roger King XF engined car is in for a fantastic time and given cost of building an engine from scratch the package is exceptional value

Anthony

Raceco can on and it looks stunning

Guys, also confess my one had peak power c.7800, with limiter at 8500 ( it could go to 9000 but I limited it on the basis of increased duration between re-builds)

The additional flexibility between peak power and limiter was very useful when you do not want to change gear on long bends

Basically you're saying you have the wrong gear ratios...

If the engine is safe to 9500, yet peak power is at 8200, then it could take a higher state of tune. Except this is a pushrod so perhaps if you tweak it up it becomes less driveable?

It would be interesting to see a power curve, but this isn't a conversation for the 'For Sale' forum.

(Dr John, a blast from the past! I followed a 'DrJohn' number plate on a trailer at rather illegal speeds down the M6 near Birmingham one Saturday evening last summer, but the driver of the tow car didn't look like the Dr John I remember.)

Paul