Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bicycle Computers on a 7

Peter R Shaw

Loadsa people have.

Here is my page here

I must update that a bit sometime, but essentially it's all there (or thereabouts).

My tips include mounting it above the scuttle - attached to the screen/aeroscreen using a B&Q corner block (used to build flatpack furniture) - you really need the computer in near-line-of-sight...

Mounting the sensor is easy enough if you have cycle wings (it attaches to one of the stays.

You'll need to extend the wire - easy enough if you have access to a soldering iron - or phone a friend... *wink*

Only problem is lighting... due to the line-of-sight issue (I stopped using the main speedo as I had to look away from the road), I got completely taken surprise the first time I drove at night - I now use a small LED torch which is attached to my Road Angel - but I guess for many people, it is easier to fit a small LED wired into the car.

Oh, calibration is best done using the chalk, tyre valve and tape measure method - push the car forward one wheel revolution and measure the distance.

Regds,

Myles

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Erm, Charles old chap...

What (if you don't mind me asking) is the point of putting it down there other than to record your max speed and other semi-static data? It's way outside line-of-sight for situations when you actually *need* an accurate speed (e.g. in town, near speed cams etc...)

Or is it just to scare the ballast? *wink*

Ah!, OK, just read the words 😳

What's wrong, in that case, with the blank area just below the scuttle above, and to the right of the wiper switch...

You can feed the wire through one of the existing switch holes - just being careful not to nip it against the sharpish ali cutout...

I think I actually ran with it in that position briefly, but found that it was quite hard to access the buttons (especially any on the bottom of the unit)...

What is your issue with having the thing above the scuttle? I admit the wire is a little unsightly - but I've not had any issue with snagging it, for instance...

The B&Q placcy triangles cost about £1.50 for 24 or so (IIRC), and can be painted...

I did have to make a minor adaption to the mount so that it would sit happily on a flat surface rather than the curve of handlebars - but you'd need to do that for a dash mount anyway.

And a plug for my, now hopelessly out of date, site:

http://www.strangely.org/owned/bikecomp/index.html

I've now got the speedo mounted on the dash, in front of the standard one, with a little bracket holding a bulb over the bike computer. All custom bracketry was courtesy of SpeedySteve.

The speedo has now done about 46,000 miles without fault, and is easily reconfigured for different wheel / tyre sizes. Definitely recommended.

I thought after changing the wheel size (15" to 13"), tyre profiles, gearbox (5sp to 6sp), diff ratio (3.92 to a 3.62), that the existing speedo would be miles adrift. Checked it with gps and it now is now very accurate. Worst case was at sevety five miles an hour indicated when the car was actually doing 73.8 mph!!!

Figured I might as well stick with the tried and tested!

Makes you wonder how 'out' it was before eh?

• Area Representative

Peter

My tip would be to mount the magnet on the hub/disc (rather than wheel) - just below where the pads sweep the disc. You can then mount pick up on stub axle using cable tie.

No problems then if you swap wheels around!!

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

• Leadership Team

The Sigma range is good to 183mph *eek*

The BC800 is pretty straightforward, and the BC1200 will allow the presetting of 2 different wheel sizes. Each will give clock, max speed, avg speed, time elapsed, distance covered. The BC1200 will give distance covered for each wheel size setting. It records cadence also but not much use in the Se7en *confused*

Stu.

thanks for all the help guys ..... good idea Paul ..... I have clams so I was thinking that would be the best place with no close brackets as with the cycle wings ...i bought a TOPEAK PANORAM..... a little larger than the sigma but I think it should do the job .... says it works to 120 MPH .... do people just solder the wires in to extend the sensor? is speaker wire ok ? or better to get wire from Maplins to suit?

Road7runner S7S.1.7 X flo here

Just solder an extension in.

I had a Raleigh Pro20 bike computer before the Sigma and that had horrible core and screen wires that were coated instead of plastic insulated. Real pain to solder. The Sigma ones were much easier.

I seem to remember Phil W having no trouble with Topeak ones.

I made a short blade bracket that bolted on to the front most hub bolt. The bike computer was attached to that at rim distance. Worked fine on my 2nd Clamshell 7.

I have a pic somewhere if you need it for ref.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

I just soldered and then connected via nasty terminal block stuff -but that was the very first 'job' I did on the 7 and have since gone back with a gas powered soldering iron and heatshrink tubing...

Second that - I've not noticed any balance problems.

I've tended to use the magnets that come with the comp. With Sigmas you get two - one hefty steel clad jobby designed to screw-clamp to the spoke (unsuitable) and a smaller, lighter one in an easily opened plastic jacket that is more appropriate.

I've also used the magnetic bases of redundant travel-chess pieces (!) They all seem to work OK.

Myles (or anyone else having fitted this)

My father has one of these invalid type scooters as he suffers from Emphysema, and has talked about fitting one of these to that so that he can keep track of how many miles he`s done etc.

Can these be calibrated for any size wheels? I seem to think that the wheels on his scooter maybe about 12-15" in diameter or thereabouts

Thanks for the advice if you can help

Shaggers *cool*

Summers coming, but not quick enough.............

Peter , sorry for hijacking your thread

It`s not yours............it`s

R7 NOW

Edited by - shagbat on 12 Mar 2004 08:35:49