Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

OIL CHANGE - DRY SUMP X FLOW

finmac

Two questions:

1. Wheres the best place to break the pipework to get the old oil out?

2. Will one "break" suffice or do I need to break it in a couple of places?

3. How much oil to refill the system?

cheers Finlay

THE ONLY SE7EN IN THE OUTER HEBRIDES!!

Hi,

My dry sump has a drain plug on the opposite side to the scavenge pump pipe, so I would use this!

Failing that, I would remove the scavenge pump pipe and see what happens. I would imaging the second place to break into the system would be at the bottom of the dry sump tank.

That should get most of the oil out.

Not sure if this helps, as I haven't changed the oil since the dry sump kit was fitted.

Chris

FWIW I tried a different approach at the weekend. I got the oil as hot as I could and then siphoned it from the dry sump tank. Saved having to break into the pipework and avoided airlocks. Probably lots of reasons why it was the wrong thing to do but....it worked a treat 😬

Barry

Cheers guys

I take it that by syphoning then I cant get an airloack? If so Syphon sounds like a good bet - dont fancy wrecking my Roger King Engine!

Forgive my ignorance but if I syphon whats in the tank then how much will be left in the engine/pump etc. i.e. what %age will I get out of the system?

How much oil do I need to refill?

THE ONLY SE7EN IN THE OUTER HEBRIDES!!

I am also interested in this topic.

Siphoning sounds like a good idea - I was having trouble working out how not to end up with (more!) oil all over the garage floor.

Do you use some sort of cunning siphon gizmo - I don't fancy sucking on the end of a tube myself - a petrol mouthwash is bad enough !!

Mike

I siphon my oil out of the dry sump tank using an old oil gun. Take the sump drain plug out and then siphon as much as I can out of the oil cooler. Followed by stripping and cleaning the tank. A right messy afair. Keeps me off the streets though 😬

Philip. D. Owen