Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Condition vs Provenance Newbie Help Pls!

New Cat

Hi, I've left a deposit cheque on a very nice supersprint engined de-dion car. I chose this car on the grounds of its condition (chassis, engine, body and negotiated price) but am a little concerned that it bears little relation to the chassis number as I deciphered it (from the link on here) although everything on the V5 seemed fine (and HPI was fine). The car is a very road spec (no fia, no battery cutoff, no dry sump, no harnesses, has wheel carrier) 1994 registered 1.7 de-dion xflow but the chassis number says it is build type R (character 6-what does this mean?), 1991 race chassis and has a post-92 1.4 k-series. Should I have any hangups/alarm bells about the chassis description? Im guessing it could be a rebuilt ex-race car but if that is the case it would seem to have been totally rebuilt because it is currently in the condition of a little used road car... Thoughts, ideas and guidance very much appreciated.

Edited by - New Cat on 7 Mar 2004 10:21:54

New Cat,

I wouldn't worry too much if it's in good condition and you're happy with the price. I doubt if it's an ex-race car as they probably wouldn't have bothered to rebuild it to total road spec., they would more than likely have left some of the race features. The R code is right hand drive.

Is the engine a Caterham sourced 1700 SuperSprint, or an externally sourced crossflow. That aspect may be the most important factor in giving the car "Caterham provenance"

Paul

Thanks for replying! The car has a Caterham sourced 1700 Super Sprint (as badged on the rocker cover) and is claimed to have had a leadfree head. The R you refer to for RHD I believe should be the 4th digit not the 6th? I was told the car has previously been owned by a Caterham employee so I guess anything is possible with regard to spec.. If anyone knows the car the reg is L706 FPD and the chassis number is SDKRDRRRIM0882800

Edited by - New Cat on 7 Mar 2004 11:43:13

Thanks Keith. I have just printed the L7 club membership form and intend to post it this weekend. However, that still leaves sometime before I will get a copy of low flying... Could I please have his number? Thanks.