Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Buying 7

Petrolhead

Help

May have the chance to purchace the following 7 and would appreciate some feedback on value.

P Reg 1.6 Supersport 20,000 miles

Widetrack Suspension

AP 4 Pot Brakes

6 Speed Box

LSD

Anti cavitation

Rear Anti Roll Bar

13 Alloys with Yok 021Rs

Momo Wheel

caterham Leather Seat

FIA Cage

Is this a 1.6 Supersport with the extra bits added or is it a Superlite?

How could I tell or find out?

How should I be paying?

Any feedback would be helpfull

Peter

PS Is Stonleigh on or has it been cancelled due to foot and mouth?

It could be a Superlight, it has most of the same bits on.

The Superlight had a plaque on the dash saying what number it is I believe.

I am sure the owner would like cash, but I certainly wouldn't carry that amount around with me, bankers draft is best.

I presume you meant 'How much should I be paying?' £15000, not sure about this maybe less.

Has it been raced? It says FIA cage is this the full cage or do they mean FIA Roll bar?

Stoneleigh is still on as far as I know.

Cheers

Daren.

Superlights have carbon fibre wings, nose cone and dash as standard. These are very expensive as extras on a Roadsport, so are unlikely to have been added.

At the risk of seeming pedantic, the Superlight is a concept, involving the removal of all unnecessary weight, coupled with all the right oily bits. As soon as you add weather equipment, heater etc., strictly speaking what you have is no longer a Superlight, but a spec'ed up Roadsport anyway. It's just cheaper to add luxury bits to a Superlight than it is to add 6 spd, LSD, big brakes etc. to a Roadsport. At the end of the day if they are the same they should be worth the same.

Not all Superlights have the plaque fitted either, mine doesn't as IMHO it looks naff.

Caterham ask 18.5K for this spec. car, on an R with 4000 miles. This is for a lux'ed up Superlight. They take 1K - 1.5K in commission, depending on whether you buy another car from them or not. So 18.5K from Caterham, after a bit of bargaining, would leave the seller with ~16.75K on a sale or return basis. People will pay a premium to buy from Caterham, so the same car private should be under 16K. The car you mention is older and has more mileage, so around 15K would be ball park, I would think.

Jon

I've just re-read the last paragraph of my last posting, and spotted the flawed logic (well it was late, and I had been drinking). Obviously anyone able to get 16.75K on sale or return from Caterham isn't then going to accept "under 16K" private. Clearly the cost to buy private will be lower, but it already is at 16.75K.

This could all be meaningless ramblings, or it could mean the car asked about is worth more than 15K (it is high spec.).

Jon

The figures I was giving were from a car bought by a friend of mine, coupled with what I learned about Caterham's margins etc. when I recently traded my car. I'm in no way an expert on the values of secondhand sevens, so please bear this in mine smile.gif. Just trying to give you as much info. as possible, sorry if it's an overload!

I plain English I'd reckon ~16K private for this car would be reasonable. Give Caterham a call, see what they think.

Caterham have a P plate 1.6ss on their web site for 16,995, but it's lower spec. than the one you're looking at. They also had my car up for sale at 16,995 (don't know what it went for in the end), and I saw 15.5K. I would have accepted that privately I think.

Hope this helps,

Jon