Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Water in footwell after washing

Frying Pan

Hi

Washed my car this evening for the first time, and was very careful not to aim water into the cockpit.

But, when I had finished and went to move it, the driver's footwell was soaking *eek* No obvious entry points.

Any idea where this would have come from? Does the heater drain water into the footwell - surely not! If not, where does it drain to?

Any thoughts?

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. Collected on March 1st!

Guy, I find that water gets everywhere when I wash. A million times worse than what gets in when it rains. Loads come in through the bonnet louvres leaving lovely pools in the camcover ridges and plenum 'sworls', and the worse bit is doing the underside fills the grot traps up at the footwell end of the chassis rails. I don't know if water in the heater would drain through to the footwells, but I would not be surpised, if the air can get through after all.

Are you sure some of the water was not from your wet boots 😬

My biggest concern about your post is that after hearing about your car for months now, you finally get it on the road and its taken you this long to give it a bath *tongue* 😬 😬 😬.

Peter

My Caterham owner's site

Peter

First chance I've had to bathe it... Need to get underneath it properly at the weekend.

Took it to work this morning, and the roads were a little wetter than I'd anticipated (Memo to self: use smaller throttle openings on roundabouts in the damp 😬 😬 😬)

Cheers

Guy

Put the car in a garage, take the bonnet off, put a bright light in the footwell and turn the garage lights off. You will find there are lots of places where the light is shining through that you need to seal up.

If you get some automotive silicon (NOT the bathroom stuff) and some aluminium tape (or duck tape if you prefer) you should be able to seal up the holes. I also found that taping over all the seams around the footwells helps to keep it dry

As Angus says the scuttle, pedal box and heater all leak, as did the steering column and several of the joints around the footwell in my case. I spent hours (and rather too much silicone 😳) sealing mine up

If you have a heater you may find it helps to blank off the lower holes in the scuttle so that just the 'ball' vents produce air. It keeps the water out and has the bonus of improving the air volume through the other vents. I found some very thin aluminium in a model shop for about 50p, stuck it down with silicone and then aluminium taped round the edges.

One final place for a leak is at the base of the footwell wher water gets up between the outside of the footwell and the inside of the outser body skin if you see what i mean. This is also a major dirt and corrosion trap and a good soak with waxoyl or dinitrol will help to seal it and keep the water out

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

I assume you didn't take it to a car wash at your local petrol station, Guy 🤔 *confused* 😬

Mine's been cleaned three times after the three occasions I've used it, mainly for the salt deposits left underneath from the cold weather. After cleaning my old 7 I found the best tools for the job are the usual bucket of warm (not hot) water with wax/polish (not washing-up liquid) and sponge, and a hose with an adjustable nozzle to regulate water flow around the tricky areas such as above the rear wings where water can easily be sprayed accidentally into the car. But DO NOT overdo it with the hosepipe as.......well you've seen what happens *mad*

I tend to do everything up (secure the boot cover, keep bonnet on) when washing at first then remove them later and leather off the bits left that are damp.

HTH

PS...I didn't specify carpets in my car - you can see why now *idea*

RW04FUN

Edited by - Rich Watson on 4 Mar 2004 20:56:13

• Area Representative

Leaving car out overnight in rain -

Remove bonnet - place plastic bag over heater inlet - replace bonnet and don't forget to remove following morning.

Paul Richards

Joint AO - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Thanks all

There are three holes pre drilled in the footwells, just in front of the chassis crossmember. I had presumed during the build that these were for mounting poppers to secure carpets (I have rubber mats), so had filled these - now removed sealant.

James - just a short blat after washing... would a long blat be better? 😬

Nick - Good advice. I left the inspection lamp in the footwell for a couple of hours this evening to dry the carpets, but didn't think of checking for gaps - something for tomorrow

Paul - Tesco carrier bag now added to rucksack contents!

Cheers

Guy

I found that most of the water entering the footwells, both while washing and driving in the rain, comes via the gap between the heater body and the horizontal panel on which it sits - cured this with a bead of silicone.

Water sits on this panel and sloshes side to side.

Also where the same horizontal panel meets the side skin - the outside body panels fold over and a bead of silicone there stopped all noticeable water entering the footwells - plus putting a dollop of silicone on all rivet heads in the engine bay in the same horizontal panel.

BRG Summertime Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

I don't have heater (or even a heater blanking plate), but find water pours into the driver's side footwell through the rivets holding the pedal box onto the scuttle. At least I think that's where it comes in, haven't siliconed them up yet to check

SteveP

Ditto Tony C comments I did more or less exactly the same and have not had a problem, even ran some sealant along the plug cover to cam cover to stop water sitting in the plug holes.

Phil S7 SVN

Guy,

When we picked up our 7s I did not look closely at yours (too carried away with mine!)

Did you have Armourfend fitted by Caterham? When I got my car home I lifted the footwell carpets and found soapy water underneath - evidently left over from the Armourfend process as there had been no rain. All now dry, but I will try the light-in-the-cockpit technique, just to be prepared.

I hope all is going well with your car. I am accumulating a list of requests for rides 😬

TonyK

Tony

No Armourfend on mine, so it must be just from the wash I gave it. I'll be more careful in future... Which bits did they Armourfend?

Took it out again last night for an hour. Seem to get to 4000RPM all too quickly with the 6-speed, and then have to back off ☹️ Still, got almost 300 miles under it's belt now, so not long before I can extend the rev range a bit *smile*

Fitted my locking wheelnuts, fire extinguisher and charging socket for the Draper Battery Master. Haven;t fitted the Petty strut yet - may do that today if I get a chance.

I've asked people to wait until it's run in for a ride. My wife will not be on the list - she hates the car, and hasn't even been in the garage since it came home *eek*

I love it 😬

Guy

I've given up with washing mine.......as long as there's no salt to stain the underside or the stoneguards I'm happy to give it the 'driven' look.

I'm also finding the 4000rpm limit tricky to keep to - that's when the 'roar' comes in - and I've just 5 gears to play with *cool* *thumbup*

And Guy, I should warn you......any more 'extras' fitted to your car will affect it's power-to-weight ratio to the extent that you may find the performance slowly deteriorate until you are outdragged by school buses and 49cc scooters...... *eek* 😬

RW04FUN

I've hit 5000 a couple of times now - just for running in purposes you understand when the engine is nice and hot. Even with a standard exhaust, sounds great, expecially if there is a car being over taken to bounce the sound off 😬

No problem with scooters yet, but good advice *cool*

Got the tail out yet?

Guy

Went for an early moring running-in-blat today. Roads were a bit damp, but no problems - 391.6 miles...

Gave it a wash when I came home, and was more careful with the hose. Even so, still got a bit on the footwells. The heater is the main culprit, but there is also a hole in the sealant along side the pedal box which I need to sort when it's dried out.

Thanks for all the help

Guy

I got fed-up mopping-up all the water from the engine compartment after washing the car - I now take the bonnet off and wash it separately. I don't know how much harm the detergent does to the lawn though 😬

BRG Summertime Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)