Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery postion on HPC

grover

Please tell me I'm wrong. The battery on my HPC is tucked away under the carbs. I've often thought this is a pretty daft place to put it, I suppose it keeps the CoG low. I tried dropping it out the bottom but the chassis rails and engine casing get in the way. Do I really have to get the carbs off to get the battery out?

..... and once you've removed the battery re-site it on top of the passenger footwell and you'll never have another problem again. And sod the CoG bit as I guess it makes little difference unless you're a seasoned racer (no doubt someone will be along and tell me I'm wrong).

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I thought it was located under the carbs because air horns were located above the passenger footwell. I moved my battery onto the chassis rails in front of the passenger footwell ,next to the gearbox. Easy to get to and far enough away from the exhaust not to get totally fried. And it still maintains the low CofG - based on a lve axle car. THe loger footwell of a de-dion may stop this batery location.

Cheers,

Graham

I've stil got both (yes TWO) batteries!

The previous owner had caterham fit a banner - which is on the other part of the passenger footwell as the halon has the 'usual' battery position. Don't know why they didn't remove the old one. We are hoping to remove it at th RR session on Sunday - at least if the carbs have to come off then there will be enough help to put them back.

I believe that Steve Foster managed to remove his battery from underneath with removing any parts.

Andrew C Winfer

A mate has a 1992 HPC which had the Exide Torquestarter battery under the carbs. Last winter it died. He phoned Caterham for a new torquestarter and they couldn't believe he really had a Torquestarter as it was 9 years old and they haven't seen one thats lasted more than 3 or 4 years.

He wanted to keep the car as standard as possible so he bought a banner and a new stainless tray and wanted it fitted in the same place.

We tried everything to get it out downwards but not a chance. Caterham suggested taking the inlet manifold off complete with carbs to avoid upsetting the carbs balance - excellent idea. With carbs/manifold off it still wouldn't come out, we ended up taking the steering column out and unclipping the front brake pipe from it's mounts before it came out.

Remove old tray, refit new tray, new battery, reassembly. Not too hard really just a pain.

We took the opportunity to fit a remote socket permanently to the battery so that you can easily connect a charger without grovelling under the carbs with croc clips. Hopefully this means next winter it'll get charged a bit more regularly and may last a few more years.

There is an alternative to removing the carbs.

Loosen the front offside engine mount (the 19mm bolt) and jack the engine up a little.

Battery then just drops out. (Can't remembver if you have to remove the tray as well first though....)

You may also have to remove the starter motor. Easier than removing carbs though.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Fast Reliable Vauxhall wink.gif

See the R500 eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

My battery was successfully removed on Sunday - big thanks to Nick and Craig - carbs and manifold off - steering column unbolted - throttle cable removed - brake line unscrewed and it came out - not a pleasant job.

Andrew C Winfer

I wanted to try lifting the engine but the exhaust manifold was virtually touching the hole in the body on the opposite side so I didn't think it would move far enough. Also to go torque starter to banner means swopping trays. Drilling out rivets, drilling new pop rivet holes and pop rivetting the new tray with the carbs in place would have been just as bad I think.

Taking the carbs off was a pain but worth it in the end I think.