Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spares to carry on touring holiday

neil.cavanagh

I'm going for my first Caterham touring holiday in 6 weeks. The plan is to spend a week blatting around the Scottish Highlands.

Tool wise I'll be taking the basic Halfrauds tool kit (srewdriver, pliers, couple of spanners, zip ties, bit of metal to hit things with..) and a RAC members card...

I was wondering what spares people have found it adviseable to carry.

I was planing on getting a clutch cable as reports on Blatchat seem to be that they go fairly regulary (I haven't got around to doing the mod that Dave J. showed me on the clutch pedal yet).

Is there anything else (cheap and light to carry) that I should consider taking with me?

cheers,

Neil

Additional imperial stuff - e.g. allen keys, etc. if applicable. Normal Halfords stuff will all be metric.

A little O/T but make sure your mobile has a chance of working where you are going. You don't want to break down at all, but if you do and need the RAC, it's good if the mobile works.

J351 TPE - Battered Old Chassis and some bits!

adam,

I've got a vodafone and a O2 mobile, so hopefully I'll be able to get reception.. I've been pretty amazed where they work in scotland before now (full signal on the top of Ben Hope right on north coast... ie absolutely middle of nowhere!!).

My car is a 2003 SV so I think most of it is metric now, but a good point still...

Various fuses.

Duck tape.

It might be worth asking for a phone number of a local (Scotland) Blatchatter - just in case. Local knowledge can be a huge help, be it a good garage, or where the nearest autofactors is that might have that part you desperately need!. That has helped us out before - its also a chance to actually meet up with someone up there and enjoy the fabulous roads.

NEW Nurburgring Pictures posted

here

55,000miles in 2.5 years

Neil, I suggest a laptop with mobile internet connection to signal out your SOS call for help to Blatchat, and listen out for the raw of Caterhams appear over the hill to your rescue...... *smile* *smile*

David

*smile*

p.s somehow such a scenario may not be that far from the truth... although I am sure you won't have any problems.... *smile*

Its Built its running and come March 1st(ish) it will be registered... pictures here , I am as excited as an excited thing.....

David M, I'll have my iPaq with me, with bluetooth connection to the mobiles so I can do as you suggest !! If required.

Angus&Tessa, good idea! When I have my route sorted, and a little time, I was gong to post it on blatchat and see what people suggest...

I'm planning to pop over to the Hebrides, and I know there is one Caterham Blatchatter who lives there.. .so I'm hoping I can meet up with him at least for an inaugural Hebrides area meet!! 😬

I can't wait! 8 weeks and counting.... Now, I just need to get the good weather booked....

Sods law operates with touring spares. I have a 27000 mile spare clutch cable in the back. Take a roll of Duct tape and a selection of cables ties and leave the rest at home. Beware of sump mashing ridges in some highland road surfaces near logging camps or distilleries where heavy trucks turn

I actually have a spare tyre, so I shouldn't need the tyre weld.

I was thinking of raising the suspension slightly before the trip as:

1) out and out track handling is not important on this trip.

2) The car will be heavily loaded with 2 15 stone guys, a tent and associated junk

3) The Scottish roads way up in the north can be a bit rough.

So an inch or so extra ground clearance could be useful...