Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Overheating??

JP

'99 1.6K SS. Over the last 2 days I' ve noticed the (Caterham) temp gauge approaching 120 degrees when in traffic. Performance seems fine, I'm not losing any coolant, oil seems fine, no steam in exhaust gas, compressions are about 170 psi (12 bar) etc. The fan does eventually cut in. I' ve only had the car for about 2 months and it is still under warranty. Is this normal or should I worry / investigate further?

Please help /reassure me!!

James.

If you are soft like me and have a heater, air can get trapped there. I found it necesary to slaken off the top hose going into the heater with a warm (not hot) engine and with the expansion tank top screwed on. This expels the air under pressure. Watch out for hot water.

The other place is the top of the radiator.

C7CDW

JP

My 1.6 SS suffered exactly the same problem, new sender from Caterham solved the it, although it still reads 5 degrees higher than it ever used to despite bleeding system through.

I get the impression that these gauges are not that accurate, so a visual check of the system and fan activation is probably a good idea, especially on track days.

Let me know how you get on.

Nick

Seems to have mysteriously cured itself mid-blat this am. Temp gauge now appears normal again. New sender turned up today from Caterham - will fit it anyway. Will let you know what happens...

Nick,

Your predictive powers are amazing! Just changed the temp sender and the eratic gauge seems to have settled - at about 5 degrees higher than it was!!!

I've been over the system so many times now I'm convinced there cannot be anything major wrong. I'm going to give up and just be vigilant.

Unless anyone else has any suggestions...

JP,

Weird isn't it! I presume the new batch of senders is a slightly different resistance.

A damn good track thrashing today highlighted no problems, with the fan barely being required despite the apparent slightly higher water temperature.

I think it must be one of those things they call character.

Nick

Your thermostat should be opening around the 80oC mark which is well within the range of a kitchen thermometer. Next time you come back from a blat, place a thermometer next to the rad hose with suitable insulation (wrap a rag around hose and thermo) and find out what the temp really is. That'll tell you how far your guage/sender is miss-reading.

Simon.