Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A quick reminder of Helmet specs

frankyknuckles

• 11 years later...

Thought I would ressurect this thread to keep JK happy *wink*

I have just had my Dunsfold handling day place confirmed, and am going to book the Club track day at Brands later on, both of which need a helmet. I hired one last year, but as my head isn't growing any more, I thought I would bite the bullet and purchase one, especially as I now have the option to go aeroscreen.

Is this above information still true, and how rigorously is it policed? There seems to be a wide range is helmet prices - however I would hope it isn't that the more you pay the less brain damage you could expect in a crash. Any advice on what I should look for would be appreciated.

Jon

I've never had a helmet checked at a (car) track day, and I've not heard of anyone else having one checked either. Sometimes the T&C's specify that it must be an MSA legal helmet, but IMO you'll be absolutely fine with a motorcycle helmet.  No doubt the safety warriors will tell you how "motorcycle impacts are different from car impacts" but IMO that's bollocks. A helmet that keeps you safe when bouncing down the road at 90mph should be able to cope with nutting your dash or roll cage.

As ever, a properly fitting helmet is much more important than brand, price or specifications. And if you have a roll cage, make sure it's protected with FIA-standard roll cage padding, not a bit of pipe lagging, or indeed nothing at all. Makes me laugh when people spend £1000 on a helmet because "you can't put a price on safety" then leave off the FIA padding because they don't like the way it looks.