Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rear Number Plates

Graham Sewell

Heres the technique...

Obtain V796 from the DVLA (you'll have to phone as its not available on thier website)

This gives the definative ruling on size and spacing of characters and whilst stryictly forbidding the style of the charecters (bold, italic or underline are styles) it does not exclude changes to the font. Only rule is the vertical strokes of the characters must be 14mm wide.

Next, go to Halfords and buy the yellow backing sheet and the perspex plate.

Then design you plate in MS Word - you cna even do it to scale!

Give it and any weird TTF's to a competant vynyl sign person and they will do the rest.

Plates on my car were done this way! If you get a sticky backed white background, you can even make same for nosecone.

Take a look at my cars website below. The plate on the home page (which is the link to the rest of the site) is an actual digital photo of my nosecone which has ben cropped.

Remember the background must show the BS Standard of the reflective material, and the name of the company (f bloggs + co if desired) who actually assembled the plates. If this is a ficticious company I doubt the law can do much.

BTW You may be very suprised how many police cars have illegal plates as they do not indicate the name of the plate manufacturer! (A good way out if you know the law when they try to nick you for that horizontal front plate!)

No numberplates is of course the best way to avoid GATSOs.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif Fast Reliable Vauxhall wink.gif

See the R500 eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

Per Arnie's last point, and I add this merely for info, I was driving down the M1 yesterday behind an Audi which had what looked like a bubble of perspex covering the rear plate.

I'm not joking, with the reflection of light off the covering there's no way I could read the number plate, I must have spent a min trying to read his plate by moving around to catch the light different ways.

There's no doubt it was a fully transparent cover and I don't doubt the flash from a speed camera wouldn't have revealed much...

minor fact the laws on number plate size and spacing which dictate the overall size were written for 6 digit number plates and seeing as how about 90% of plates on the road are actually now 7 digits long the odds are that any plod on the roadside will be also driving a car with illegal plates (this of course all changes later this year)

by the way a good supplier of number plates any size or style,smoked,fag packet even credit card size try MAD they are in shropshire somewhere but advertise every month in all the bike press