Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front Discs

Nigel Abbott

Having just bought a pair of Alcon calipers from Mr. Whiting, I've thought it wise to replace the front discs at the same time.

Are the original discs Ford parts? Are there any better alternatives (such as the Bremsport discs) and if so what are peoples experiences?

Cheers

Nigel Abbott

You could've got a set of replacement disks for £15 each from James at the same time (saved some postage) I think they're triumph disks.

Alternatively James does some drilled disks which do exactly the same (and you don't need the cooling) for £90ish but look more like the db's

Vented disks a la the big brake upgrade are heavier, well expensive and again you don't need the cooling.

I was also going to say they wouldn't fit the Alcon calipers but I used to shim calipers to make them fit different pads and brakes so maybe they would ??

I understand that ventilated discs are to improve cooling.

What advantage does having drilled discs give you?

Assuming that you want drilled discs, is there any good reason why you shouldn't buy the £15 ones and drill them yourself (on a pillar drill with even pattern to maintain balance) rather than paying the £90ish for ones that come already drilled?

And finally what do grooved discs achieve? Is it the same advantage as drilling or something different?

Ian

Ian, Grooves:the main advantages are improved brake fade characteristics improved de-glazing and higher working temperatures.The more grooves the higher the working temp.

Grooves are better than drill holes in a disc because holes do not de-glaze the pads.

Why do grooves increase working temperature? Do you have a scientific explanation and I thought holes also deglazed the pads although whether grooves or holes are more effective I don't Know.

There's no reason why you can't drill the discs yourself. How do you think the ones James Whiting sells are created. You might want to consider whether to countersink the holes or not though.