Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Gearing calculator.

Blatman

I think the graphical representation is largely irrelevant. The DOS-based gearing program written by Dave Andrews has two distinct advantages to my eye:

1. It doesn't require that you scroll down for the info

2. It offers a selection of known gearbox ratios, including standard Ford items, the Caterham 6 speed, a number of Quaife options, and some Brian Hill (BGH) offerings)

You can download Dave's program at:

http://hometown.aol.com/DVAndrews/index.htm

If you right click on the gear ratios you get a lot of user-selectable pre-defined ratios, so I take it back. I like it. smile.gif

It displays a slightly different set of stats to Dave Andrews' DOS-based program. Dave's shows you the speed at predefined revs, whilst Peter's one shows you revs at predefined speeds. I have gotten used to the way in which Dave's displays the results, but I guess it wouldn't be a huge effort to display both in Peter's one.

What I like especially about Peter's program is the tyre sizes. You can add them in 245/45/13 standard, or tyre diameter or circumference.

Although I remain a little sceptical about the graphical display, I admit it clearly shows whether each successive gear is closer to the previous one, and therefore shows if you've got any "holes" in your gear ratio selection. I wonder whether a line-chart might be more appropriate though.

Now all I need is a gearbox with easily-adjustable ratios to play with. wink.gif