Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Audi S4 Avant

Martin Ray

I am selling my 1999 Audi S4 Avant next month. Its done about 80,000 miles, has FASH and has just been serviced with new cam belt and front discs.

Currently I have an agreed p/x deal (for a new S4) - but I am open to offers around £11,000.

Its Negaro Blue, silk leather, bose, and (needless to say) removeable tow bar.

The car will be available in early April.

Email me offline if you are interested - martin.ray45@btinternet.com

I looked at the S4 Avant this time round too. Audi took an enternity to find out whether a tow bar could be fitted, and eventually said "they weren't sure"

Ended up with a 330d estate. Not as fast, but 35mpg as opposed to 11 *eek*

Great car the S4, but I have heard it is horrendously thirsty

I could write at length about the S4 towbar saga!

The bottom line is:

- Audi will not supply it with a tow bar and some dealers will not fit one.

- The A4 tow bar fits the S4

- my insurance co are quite happy for me to have a tow bar.

I am buying this car in spite of Audi and the dealer (Aston Green). They took the order in November, with the tow bar included on the order form. In January they then said that they couldn't supply it with a towbar. It gets worse after that - but thats another story. Car now expected in early April.

I have arranged for Oxford Audi to fit a tow bar after delivery.

Apparently the issue for Audi is that in Germany, none of their cars with the V8 engine are approved for towing ("too fast to tow?" As a result Audi Uk are worried about product liability.

An Audi UK dealership happily fitted a towbar to my B5 S4 knowing it is quicker than the new car and I am sure they would fit one to an RS4 as well.

Anyway, 80k miles or not, unless you S4 has been trashed and thrashed I'm bewildered why you are selling it for £11k.....

S4's are in demand - look at the wanted ad's in Auto Trader. There is even a very badly damaged one on Autotrader for £9800.

Interestingly RS4's are staying very firm - those with 80k miles are still achieving £30k

These cars are a very desirable and incognito alternative to an M3 - and they come as an estate.....

Edited by - Fat Arnie on 26 Feb 2004 19:59:31