Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Changing pads AP front set up -How to?

DonkeyDave

The hardest bit is taking the wheels off. Then there's the tricky Allen key bolt and the difficult springy bit. Next is the finger nail splitting slide out of the pads. Lever the pistons back with a bit of wood and then the reinsertion making sure the metal backing plate on one side of the pads is not next to the discs. Add the springy bit followed by the allen bolt and replace the wheel.

OUCH!!!!!

Which front brake setup do you have? Mine are the older AP setup which have a small caterham badge rather than the newer black ones with Caterham moulded into the metal. I know how to do mine (and also found out the hard way that they have 2 bleed nipples! (It doesn't work well when you only bleed one of them!)

Alex

Edited by - Alex Wong on 26 Apr 2001 12:04:51

Surely you will not be needing to bleed the system if you are simply changing pads? Not exactly a one handed job if you have a 'bleed' in mind. The two nipples are worth bearing in mind for when you do bleed the brakes.

As stated previously, a pad change is not at all problematical with the big brakes........famous last words!

Andrew

Edited by - Andrew Russell on 26 Apr 2001 16:11:58

I just changed the pads on my "standard" old-fashioned calipers. I also rebuilt the calipers with new seals at the same time. After putting it all back together I had a long brake pedal. James Whiting says this is common and the answer is to make sure the pistons are in the right position before putting the pads in, i.e. it should be a tight squeeze to get the new pads in between the piston and disc. If you push the pistons too far back, then when you apply and release the brakes they'll be pulled back into the cylinder by a tiny amount, causing the long travel.

I don't know if this happens with the AP calipers, nor whether it only applies when you've fitted new caliper seals or whether it always happens when you fit new pads. Worth bearing in mind though.