Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Instructions for fitting TBs

Red SLR

Simon,

Can't help you with the Jenveys/Qed's, but the 'Luminition' is a Gems unit I believe. General Engine Management Systems Limited are based at unit A1/D, Thorpe Techno Park, Crabtree Road, Egham, Surrey TW20 8RN tel 01784 470525 fax 01784 470527 or Rich.Armitage@gems.co.uk

They may be able to help !

Good Luck!

I assume this is a k series job - if not ignore the following.

I fitted a QED TBs kit over the winter.

You will need to buy a Rover inlet gasket and a set of studs because you have to change the length of the ones at top centre to clear throttle linkage.

You will need to drill and tap an 1/8 BSP hole in the front casting to connect the overflow coolant pipe to the expansion header. This need to be set up pretty closely otherwise you won't get the fitting and the hose to clear the casting and the dip stick.

I suggest you use the jenvey throttle linkage or you will wind up with a unprogressive long travel throttle pedal.

Are you using the original injectors? If so you need the alloy trumpets and spacers to clear the filter backplate with the fuel rail. It is a tight fit with the inlet filter body as it all runs so close to the engine compartment brace and you have to reroute the clutch cable under the brace.

Not the easiest of jobs made much easier if you can see a finishd job. I'm south of Redditch in Worcestershire viewing by appointment

I assume this is a k series job - if not ignore the following.

I fitted a QED TBs kit over the winter.

You will need to buy a Rover inlet gasket and a set of studs because you have to change the length of the ones at top centre to clear throttle linkage.

You will need to drill and tap an 1/8 BSP hole in the front casting to connect the overflow coolant pipe to the expansion header. This need to be set up pretty closely otherwise you won't get the fitting and the hose to clear the casting and the dip stick.

I suggest you use the jenvey throttle linkage or you will wind up with a unprogressive long travel throttle pedal.

Are you using the original injectors? If so you need the alloy trumpets and spacers to clear the filter backplate with the fuel rail. It is a tight fit with the inlet filter body as it all runs so close to the engine compartment brace and you have to reroute the clutch cable under the brace.

Not the easiest of jobs made much easier if you can see a finishd job. I'm south of Redditch in Worcestershire viewing by appointment

I've got a number of pictures of the DTH Jenvey bodies attached to the K series, both using the retained fuel rail and the Jenvey supplied one, with and without airbox and with and without the Jenvey top mounted linkage. The job is a bit fiddly but not impossibly difficult, Bernard Scouse makes an airbox kit which allows retention of the original fuel rail and does away with the need for spacers with the trumpets, it also includes a throttle mounting bracket/linkage.

Do make sure the the throttle body runners as cast line up with the inlet ports, sizes of entries vary and casting/machining shifts in the K series are very common, this can lead to very poor alignment of the bodies to the inlet ports.. not too good.

If you want to retain the IACV operation you will need some spouts and tubing to plumb the IACV into the TB equalisation galleries, QED do a kit I believe.

It's probable that the engine will run without the IACV quite happily if the Lumenition (nee Gems) ECU uses advance trim to maintain idle, provided the throttle plates are set to give the engine sufficient air, the rest can be done using advance trim loop by the ECU.

If you drill and tap the coolant spout at around a 30 degree angle it should clear the end of the TB adequately.

Oily

I re iterate what every one else has said.

1) you need to drill a hole in the front edge of the front throttle body to take a spout to fit the water hose to - this is the hose which goes to the expansion tank.

The water hose currently is attached to the current inlet manifold. Be careful to ensure the spout clears the end of the throttle body - you may need to fit it at an angle - I DIDN'T !!!!!

2) the air temperature sensor (green) currently fitted into the inlet plenum should be fitted into the air filter back plate - there is a convenient hole already cut into the back plate - I used this but be carefult to ensure the sensor is securely located by using locking nut and locktight - you dont want the nut coming loose and ending up in the throttle bodies.

3) The IACV - a big black valve currently fitted in the inlet plenum - you can ignore this as the Emerald does not need it. It controls idle speed which you can manage without with the throttle bodies.However if you decide to keep it then you need to use the small screw fitting which are fitted into the engine side of the throttle body inlets, take out the screws fit rubber hose to each, join togethter and fit onto the IACV so that the IACV works off the inlet pressure. You will need to get a special small filter to attach the the IACV.

4) the vacuum pipe fitted to the inlet plenum going back to the small box on the bulkead can be disconnected and ignored.

5) the oil breathers (2) off the cam covers which currently vent via the inlet plenum. These can either be left venting to the air or can be joined and connected into the air filter back plate - you will need to drill a second hole in the back plate.

6) Dont know what sort of trumpets you have or what length. Fitting the back plate can be difficult as depending on the size of air filter there is a shortage of space, my air filter is hard up against the clutch cable and against the body cross member. I have not got the spacers which are sometimes fitted between the throttle bodies and the filter back plate. If you have not got the spacers then the existing Rover fuel rail will not fit as the existing Rover injectors are such a length that the fuel rail fouls the filter back plate as does the fuel pressure regulator. I used the QED fuel rail but then had to purchase from QED a replacement fuel pressure regulator which has the added benefit that is adjustable. I also bought some new small injectors ( as they looked fab).

7) Make sure the accelerator linkage springs back freely once the accelerator pedal is released. If it is the Jenvey linkage which fits below the throttle bodies (despite the Jenvey instructions which suggest the linkage goes above)are for the linkage is a dog to get at once the air filter is fitted.

Dont bother with it.. especially if your ECU has idle control, it should use advance to maintain the idle when the engine is cold or under loading from the alternator. If you have a sufficiently high idle when hot (1000RPM), then its degradation will be less when cold. Not sure how the Lumenition/GEMS unit handles idle control but I *think* it may use advance.

Oily

Simon.

Mick Smith uses Jenvey/QED's on his 220bhp 'K' and has Not been using the IACV. He has now adapted it for use WITH the IACV and Karl is going to alter the Emerald software to suit (at least that's the general idea!)I think this means he at least considers it worth the extra work involved!!!

Think he will be at the D Walker RR Sunday.

The result is......

3 very pissed off people.

Firstly discovered last night that QED had sent a blank ECU. So they had to send one up by special delevery. Which I got this morning.

Then after hours of messing about with the TBs and linkage etc we finnaly got the TBs and linkage on. Then we discovered that the QED fuel rail I got is the wrong one!!!! I will just put it this way, I am not in a very good mood at the moment.

Car is still in Paul Rs garage and prob will be now till next weekend.

Thanks very much to Paul R and John E for their time today.

Simon.

X777CAT

Simon,

I have about 6 *correct* fuel rails for the DTH bodies sitting in my conservatory.. if you'd like one let me know, Paul R can pick one up...

or

I'll be at Emerald tomorrow for the RR session, I'll take a fuel rail with me if you know anyone who is attending perhaps they can pick it up, you can get me on 0771 4066429.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 28 Apr 2001 21:49:11

For all those who are interested my 7 started up tonight for the first time on the D2HTBs. Thanks to Paul R and John E for all their hard work over the last few nights.

The idle is fine and is at a steady 1000rpm, so the AICV is not needed on the lumenition system. The engine is running quite lumpy, but I think this is down to the ECU being a bit "up the creak".

I will be getting it on the rollers asap, maybe as soon as Wed. I will report back on bhp etc, fingers crossed for 150 and above!

Simon.

X777CAT

Repeat the following 4 billion times.

Dont beleive what people say when they try to sell you their products.

---------------------------

Car on the rollers today, result, ECU is rubbish. Complete P P P.

Simon.

X777CAT

Why so?

Presumably the headline figures didn't impress?

Note that without cam or head changes I'd doubt the TBs alone would give too much more on these numbers but should make the car more responsive and sound better...as well as giving you a better platform from which to upgrade further.

Did you also do a "before" and "after" at the same rolling road as it could be that the road wouldn't have given the std. theoretical output on the std. spec. engine anyway. It could also be that the engine wasn't giving the quoted figures originally...

More info' Simon and don't be too glum...

C7 AJM